• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Converting flatbed to dozer ramp bed

79star

New to the forums and couldn't find this topic. What are your thoughts of converting a 22-24 foot flatbed into dovetail body to haul 9 ton dozer. Already have the tandem truck with poor dump bed and would only be using it to transport lone dozer to shows. I would leave a 16 foot flatbed and use the cut off portion to create a dovetail on back. Basically would be toy hauler with sole purpose.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
As long as your wheelbase length works and you are not over height and weight go for it. Mike Mc sets a bed like that on his modified Kenworth lowboy tractor when he goes to play. Search old posts, you might see it.

redneckracin

Occupation
Civil Engineer
There is a local contractor that hauls around an 850? case dozer on a tandem or tri-axle roll back. Its great for getting into narrow gas well roads to unload the machine. I would really keep that dove tail off the ground so your not dragging on the ground though. I'm curious how you are going to make your ramps. They are going to have to be stout and very heavy. Is a hydraulic or pneumatic option possible for raising and lowering them?

old-iron-habit

Occupation
That's exactly what I was looking to do. Wish he had more pics to show how/what he built it from.
Mike checks in on this forum occasionally. PM him. I'm sure he will help you out. It might take him a bit. He's pretty heavy into work like everybody else right now.

79star

I would probably mount it directly to the frame. My truck has PTO pump, so it wouldn't be hard to use hydraulics or put in an extra air tank to have pneumatic ramps. I did see a pic when he was building it, but would like to see what keeps it in line with the truck.

old-iron-habit

Occupation

That's the truck but the beds not on. The bed is built with a beaver tail and slides on to the fifth wheel. He has forklift pockets built in to set it on and off. When he backs his Cat up to unload, the bed tips down a bit, setting the ramps on the ground. It has guides to keep it all straight. To remove the bed he grabs it with the forklift and the truck is back to fifth wheel status.

wilko

Looks pretty scary. I'd want a lot taller lip on the sides to keep a machine from sliding over the side.

treemuncher

Occupation
eatin' trees, poopin' chips
79star , did this project ever get off the ground? I've been looking to do the same thing for a 30k lb tracked machine. I'm looking for plans and ideas to modify a truck.

Stringfellow in Nashville, TN builds these bodies at about $30k+
Ledwell builds a Hydratail folding rear ramp body for about $48k

I'm looking to convert a recently purchased Moffet forklift flatbed into a hauling truck. The Moffet kit will be removed and a tail & ramp system fabricated either by me or by a competent fabrication shop. The truck has a 58k gvw so it should handle the load quite well.

Stringfellow and Ledwell are far outside the running for my economic boundaries.

79star

Made no progress. Family has required more energy. Realized that I would also like to mount a knuckleboom in front for loading out other stuff too. Pipe dream

treemuncher

Occupation
Well, I'm off to the races with this project. I purchased an '03 Freightliner 410 hp Mercedes Benz, 10 speed, 18k front, 40k rears and double framed with a Moffett forklift flatbed but that bed was too narrow and too tall. I have to custom build something shorter to keep within the 13'6" height restrictions. It needs to carry a 30k lb machine and daily essentials for small, short term jobs.

The bed has been removed, rust removed from the top of the frame, frame top painted with rust stopping sealer, new oak wood strips and an order of pre-cut steel beams. I'll post pics as this project moves along.

It's been several weeks of nightly calculations to ensure that I build it stout enough yet light enough. It's been many years since I was in engineering but I still have my own personal library of textbooks from my college years. The Moffett body was built extremely tough but weighed in at 7k lbs. I think that my bed should weigh in at half of that or less. That leaves ample room for a 200 gallon fuel tank, tools, parts and miscellaneous items that I need on day jobs.

Attachments

• stock flatbed.jpg
    stock flatbed.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 223
  • frame paint.jpg
    frame paint.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 229
  • frame rail wood.jpg
    frame rail wood.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 215
  • truck 1st day frame progress.jpg
    truck 1st day frame progress.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 221

treemuncher

Occupation
Progress. Dovetail is mostly finished. Fuel tank under construction. Side beams cut and ready for install after adding some stiffners to the inner layout.dovetail 1.jpg dovetail 2.jpg dovetail 3.jpg dovetail 4.jpg

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Looking good. What weight is the beavertail designed to carry? I tend to overbuild everything everything to the point where there is no hauling capacity left. Will the ramps help carry the bottom end of the beavertail until the machine is on the deck?

treemuncher

Occupation
I've used 40k lb for most of my calculations for the primary load. Otherwise, I use 25ksi as my yield stress instead of the actual 36ksi of ASTM36 steel. My last weight estimate puts me around 3k lbs for the bed. Once finished, I will take it to the local scales for weigh out of actual build weight. The former Moffett type flatbed was 7k lbs so I know I'm building it much lighter and with a lower center of gravity. I should be well under $5k for the cost of building the bed, not including my labor. I've still built it heavier and sturdier than some of the other ramp beds that I've looked at.

Ramps will have ground support. Beavertail is designed to carry the weight of the machine without extra supports or assistance if needed.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Thanks. The beavertail frame pieces looked light to me. Guess that just proves that I overbuild. Should have took some structural engineering when younger.