• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

converting a 3 stick backhoe to a 2 stick setup. help!!

Lindsey97

hi all, i have the oppurtunity to purchase a 1997 case 580l with 3300 hours from a contractor friend on mine. it is currently setup with 3 stick style controls for the backhoe. I, however, am not. Is a conversion possible? is a package available from case with one part# ?

i tried to run it, and did nothing but amuse the current owner. i have some time on a 410d deere with two stick, and i do great with the deere. something tells me that my mind's eye might be in for an adjustment. any wisdom on this will be appreciated.

nilzlofgren

If you go to casepower.com, pick any location, than work your way to the online parts store, you can type in "580L", and get a parts list. With schematics and prices. I found all the parts for the upper and lower two stick configuration. That's all you should need. from the control valve forward, it should all be the same.

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
When 'L's were new a kit could be purchased to swap the controls. It was a dealer only thing, no numbers in a parts book etc.
The swap over only takes about an hour for someone who has done them before.
As far as I know, they are no longer available.
To purchase all that is required to do the job would be VERY expensive, if all parts were even able to be purchased.
Best bet is to call wreckers for a used set or a number of Case or Machinery dealers who have a 2 stick 580/590L or M for sale & tell them what you have & that you would like to swap your 3 lever kit with their 2 stick.
They may just have a die hard Case operator wanting to purchase the machine they have, but with 3 stick control.
That's if you can wait that long............

melben

Occupation
Retired 50 Yrs with Case dealership
Check with a good dealer, we swapped them all the time and there are probabably dealers who have takeoffs willing to sell. Mel

Bill Smith

Occupation
Rental House Owner
Lindsey I HAVE A 580 SE WITH 3 LEVER FOOT SWING .When I started to opperate backhoes my first machine was a john deer 310 2 lever .I ran this machine for 2 years , problem was I was in the union and you worked were they told and for who . You had no choice what machine they gave you .I ended up in Cat of which the controls were backwards that you could not convert to John deer style at the time . Next machine was infact the one I have now 3 lever foot swing .Believe me try to run it the way it is , as this will make you a better operator and no machine will be an obstickle .Think of it as learning a second languge

inthedirt

I'm not sure if we still do, but at least within the last few years we had a set (or several) of "wobble sticks" that were sitting in boxes in the back room at the dealership where I work. As mentioned before this is kind of a dealer only thing. And yes if you know what you are doing and don't hit any major snags about 1-2 hours is all it takes to swap one over. The part that most people forget is to change the swing spool centering spring. A foot swing spring with hand swing would be very difficult to swing, and hand swing spring with foot swing would make the swing very jumpy and almost uncontrollable (and very dangerous!).

JS580SL

Occupation
operator
Give the 4 stick a try, once you get the hang of it you might like it better. I wouldnt go back to a 2 stick.

Truck 505

Southeastern Equipment in Monroe Ohio has a ton of controls. They have all came from conversions and a saw a bunch of two lever controls mixed in. There must have been twenty or thirty sets there.
I saw them yesterday when I was there and asked the branch manager about them and he said they were for sale and to give them a call. 513-539-9214
He said Case no longer sells the kits and you would have to buy all the parts individually and I am sure that would be very expensive.
I hope this helps.

melben

Occupation
Retired 50 Yrs with Case dealership
When changing from conventional Case controls to two stick or vice versa there is a spring change on the swing spool as the foot swing takes a bit heavier spool centering spring because of more linkage to center. Be sure you get the spring as it is part of the conversion package or you will have to order it as it makes the swing lever FEEL a bit heavy. Mel

heavylift

3 stick is easy learn... besides the money you save can be used on future repairs

Bill Smith

Occupation
Rental House Owner
I have a wobble stick or joy stick complete tower assembly for a 580 se I will post this on the for sale threads