• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Convert JLG 45HA from batteries to gasoline

trainpilot

Occupation
R & D engineering
We have an electric lift which has been working pretty well as a hybrid. It has eight 6V golf car batteries driving a GE 5hp motor at 48 volts. I bought a sophisticated 48volt charger which replaces some of the batteries' charge during operation from a 2kw Honda inverter generator. The batteries are tired and in need of replacement after 3-1/2 years. I have tried to keep them maintained, but the lift spends most of its time away from grid power, and the capacity of the bank is inadequate for the duty cycle I often need-even with new batteries. Faced with replacing the batteries to the tune of $1000.00, I am considering replacing the electric motor with a gasoline engine. The existing electric motor turns a 3-section pump and runs at full battery voltage when pedal or ground control switch is activated. I have not checked RPM of electric motor, but I'm thinking it should be OK to drive the pump at 3600 rpm using a solenoid to run up engine to rated speed. I know I'll have to replace batteries with ballast. Controls run on 12 volts, and emergency pump has it's own battery and works well, so I'm planning on adding a good additional 12 volt battery with an isolator to charge the two independently. I'm figuring on 12-13hp engine. I welcome thoughts and advice.

Delmer

Why not? The main advantage of batteries is working inside, right?

If it was a 220v 5hp motor then I'd agree with the 12hp gas replacement. I'm not sure with batteries, but I'd guess that the hp rating is more like peak power than the service factor of a grid connected motor. That is, the 220 motor can and will pull 30-40 amps or more if it's overloaded, the battery motor might pull more amps, but it will lower the voltage to some degree to do that. I'd check if you can figure out the rating of the hydraulic pump and figure out hp from that, or see what kind of power the existing motor is using. An 8hp honda or maybe even less would probably do it, but you can't go wrong with a 12 either.