• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Conversion to 4wd

norite

Has anyone converted a 2wd backhoe to 4wd? Seems to be many 2wd backhoes for sale that go cheap compared to 4wd. I am talking older machines such as jd310,410,510 c's and d's. I am thinking of replacing the front axle with one from a wrecked/burned machine. Obviously I need the front driveshaft as well. What I need to know is whether the transmission would need to be replaced, are the 2wd/4wd transmissions different or could a 2wd trans be upgraded by installing an output shaft or pto setup from the wreck? If the entire rear transaxle needs replacing, it probably wouldn't be worth it I assume. Any ideas?

JS580SL

Occupation
operator
Dont know much about older deeres. Would assume the trans would be the same, you would need a transfer case though.

mitch504

on a case 580 super K it would be easy. Just remove cover on front of transaxle, install sliding clutch and yoke