• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Control valve leak

Bertrrr

Occupation
mechanic
Is this leak worth repairing ? it's not real bad but it bothers me and makes a mess, Not sure how to go about removing the plunger from the fit though. I think it's only an o ring or two but not sure how to tackle it or if it's worth the bother. IMG_0942[1547].JPG

Billrog

Occupation
band mill , backhoe and dump truck
Pull the pin out of the linkage and pull it out . I think then the problem will be obvious I've done a couple & no mechanic here just a trial and error guy.

Billrog

Occupation
It's been a while since I had one apart let me know how you make out, if I remember right it was simpler than I thought it would be. Don't hesitate to ask if you run into any thing your not sure about some times my trial and error gets frustrating but
I seldom regret doing it myself.

Bertrrr

Occupation
mechanic
Thanks for the help and suggestions , pulled the cap off the bottom but couldn't see exactly how it comes apart, removed all the lines and am in the process of pulling the whole valve body off the machine so I can put it on my work bench to better service.
Parts are ordered so I should be ready when they arrive. Sort of a pain to remove the whole thing but shouldn't be a problem to re attach after new seals installed. ,,,,,,,,,hopin so anyway, thanks guys , I will post the results when it's done.

Billrog

Occupation
I didn't member pulling the cap off the bottom but must have unless mine are dif. good Mike chimed in would want to lead you astray. I recommend you don't get carried away and pull that bank of valves apart. I also took the caps off the relief valves and clean out a little sludge on one hoe but mine were on the bottom .

Bertrrr

Occupation
mechanic
yeah I don't plan on separating the valve body and I ain't fixin nothing that aint broke if you know what I meanIMG_0944[1633].JPG

moriboy

Occupation
Machine shop owner
I just took the valve body out of my dozer and completely went thru. Really pretty easy. Yours looks similar. The orings that go between the sections were pretty cheap, I would suggest you put new ones in since you have it out.

mikebramel

Thanks for the help and suggestions , pulled the cap off the bottom but couldn't see exactly how it comes apart, removed all the lines and am in the process of pulling the whole valve body off the machine so I can put it on my work bench to better service.
Parts are ordered so I should be ready when they arrive. Sort of a pain to remove the whole thing but shouldn't be a problem to re attach after new seals installed. ,,,,,,,,,hopin so anyway, thanks guys , I will post the results when it's done.
If you can't pull the spool (with spring and spring retainer) off because of clearanceissues on the bottom. You can reattach the linkage up top to keep the spool from rotating, then break the flat head or hex head loose with a ratchet

mikebramel

I didn't member pulling the cap off the bottom but must have unless mine are dif. good Mike chimed in would want to lead you astray. I recommend you don't get carried away and pull that bank of valves apart. I also took the caps off the relief valves and clean out a little sludge on one hoe but mine were on the bottom .
I don't know the specifics of this one but valves are always centered internally

Bertrrr

Occupation
mechanic
Yeah the cap off the bottom allows you to drive the spool assembly down and out , it appears there are 2 O-Rings and the top seal piece , just a matter of keeping it clean and lube everything up for re assembly. Not nearly as bad as I feared , it is One Heavy dude to handle by yourself though.

Bertrrr

Occupation
mechanic
Finished it up , 2 O - Rings and the top dust seal , could have done it in place had I known. Easy repair all in all ,
Thanks for everyone's input.