• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Control pattern help

craydul

I use ISO on backhoes, and I'm more proficient with this pattern than SAE. Now today I got on a mini excavator for the first time, and it was on ISO pattern and the controls felt awkward, was it because of the joy sticks being different from the two levers from a backhoe that threw me off? I've been operating a cat 320L recently on SAE controls that I'm pretty comfortable with could it be that I prefer SAE on an excavator than ISO? Please this is really bothering me.

lantraxco

To me there's a huge difference between mechanical sticks and joysticks, so that might be a lot of what you're experiencing. Then again as you say you've been operating an excavator with the SAE pattern, I should think it hard to go back and forth. If you can, try a mini or medium size excavator with a pattern changer, you can switch back and forth to see which you prefer.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
It's a brain thing. I have more time on an excavator than a backhoe, so I am programmed with that pattern. We have 2 New Holland 675 back hoes, and it took a while, but I can manage that pattern as long as I don't have to get fussy, or get into a panic moment. Our 110 and 95 New Holland have the joy sticks, and pattern switch. I have to run them like the excavator because of the joy sticks. Some guys here can make the change with no issue. We rented a excavator from a contractor once. His operator ran back hoe for years, so they ordered their excavator with the back hoe pattern. One of our guys jumped on their machine, and couldn't do a thing. It will come after a while

craydul

That's also true. Btw I've think I have been running SAE for a while now, and it overthrew my ISO pattern. It's really astonishing how fast your brain can lose that practice in a matter of weeks.

kevin37b

Occupation
Operator #841
I can run a CASE 4 stick footswing backhoe and get right on 2 stick backhoe or excavator as long as 2 stick is set up SAE . If ISO I CANNOT HIT THE GROUND .

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Essons had a white backhoe with the 4 sticks, but it had a joystick for the front bucket.