• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Considering a Tri Axle.....

welding570

Im seriously considering buying a tri axle and doing some trucking here in northeast Pennsylvania, Im class A and have driven dump truck before so a company. I've talked to a few guys in the business and they said that hauling hot rock for the quarry is paying around $60 a load. that seams way cheaper then what i would've expected. Is buying a tri axle a good idea for expanding my business? Can you make any money at all getting paid $60 an hour?

87silvert

No. That is not even enough to fool yourself into thinking you are making money.

lantraxco

Trucks were making a buck a minute 25 years ago as I recall.... and Diesel was around a buck a gallon.

rmllarue91

Occupation
field technician
Hey welding 570 I'm just north of you above scranton and with the gas and now gas leaving there is triaxles for sale everywhere and companys fighting for work. I think you'd be better off waiting a few years to get into that market and dot is hitting the little guys to make up for lost revenue form gas trucking industry. That's just what everyone talks around here. Good luck

Last edited:

tbone1471

I had 7 tri axles last year. Sold 4. Trucks are not a way to make money. Repairs fuel and drivers wages are a lot. If your not making over 70/hr your not even breaking even. And don't say that you will be the driver.... you still need to get paid. Trucks are incidental to your business operation.