• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

conglomerate gravel

fiat41b

Has anyone dealt with conglomerate gravel if so how did you handle it.
Today was the first time I have seen this stuff clusterS of lots of gravel stuck together like rice crispe treats
the size of vw bugs and bigger some of it was solid in the earth. Probably more buried beneath.

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
What do you mean by "handle it" ? We mined a property for sand and gravel that had this type of stuff at the bottom of the deposit. We ripped it with a D8 ripper, loaded it out,and hauled it to the plant. It was put through an old jaw crusher before running it through the washing plant.

Ryan151

We had tons of it. Ours was pretty thick 1 foot and more at the top and sometimes middle of our seam. We would under mine it and break it. But it can be ripped. I've had some so thick a. Excavator won't even touch it. 450 jd

ol'stonebreaker

Occupation
retired
The next to last job I worked before retirement was a gravel pit at Washougal, Wa. It had layers from a foot thick to 10 feet thick of what I call natural concrete. I ran an 8L with a 2 shank 4 barrel ripper pushing to the loader. With new points it would barely scratch it. If it was 2 feet thick or less and I could start at the edge of it and rip it, anything thicker forget it. This stuff was so well bound together when it broke apart even the small 3/8" pebbles would be pulled apart. Mother nature can do some strange things!!
Mike