• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Compatibility with Cat D6b

Homer Dokes

Occupation
Jack of all trades... pretty damn good at some.
Greetings all,

As I begin my quest to prolong the life of my new '60 Cat D6b I find myself in search of parts, both new and used, that I can acquire to achieve that goal. From what I have been able to garner it appears that in the searching of parts, identifying interchangeable items between models would broaden my selection. As near as I can tell, it seems that there is more compatibility of parts between a D6 9U than say with a D6c or an early D5. Am I correct in this assessment and are there certain years I should be looking at over others? This same compatibility issue also applies to searches of 'how to' examples for performing various repairs. i.e. I need to replace the recoil springs on both sides. I have purchased a set already and received them. Boy are these manly springs. I am completely comfortable in installing these... the question is how. I have tried to find examples on YT University however there is little now to be found there for a D6b. Are there other models that would be similar in their procedure and application? I seem to find much more related to a D6 9U than a D6b for example.

Parts I am in search of include but are not limited to the following:

Rail protection covers (mine are completely missing)
Recoil springs (just purchased a set)

At the moment that's my list. Surprisingly this dozer is in really good shape for a '60. I am sure I am going to find more but I got to use it for the first time all day a couple days ago and outside of some adjustment issues I intend to bring up in another thread I was able to make a lot of progress on 25 acres we are developing.

leadfarmer

With my D6B, I've needed a few parts, and it is a case by case basis. I needed battery box covers, the metal lids that the arm rests bolt to. I found those at a heavy equipment junk yard in Ohio. They may have what you need. Unfortunately I can't recall the name of it. I know of other yards in PA and TX. They are out there. Good luck hunting.

Homer Dokes

Occupation
With my D6B, I've needed a few parts, and it is a case by case basis. I needed battery box covers, the metal lids that the arm rests bolt to. I found those at a heavy equipment junk yard in Ohio. They may have what you need. Unfortunately I can't recall the name of it. I know of other yards in PA and TX. They are out there. Good luck hunting.
Yeah... my battery case covers are missing too. Fortunately I have a well equipped prototyping shop and can make new ones that are locking which I intend to do so soon. Don't want my new batteries to come up MIA.

Figure I may be doing the seam for my rail covers however I'm unsure of what thickness material to use to insure durability. Located in Indiana here so Ohio isn't too far to go.

leadfarmer

They are beefy, like 11GA, I can get you some pictures of mine when I have time

D5Dan

Hey HomerD... cool D6B; definitely fun to see/follow your "new" machine!

I have a late-sixties D5 and I can see A LOT of similarities between our machines. Initial look at your pics (https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/threads/60-cat-d6b-steering-issues.106691/) I believe we are running the same D333 (non turbo, which I believe is a D333a (vs 333b being turbo) . Trackframes and recoil springs look same/similar (my D5 has grease fittings for the track tensioners...I believe the D6B is threaded adjusters??). Looks like we have the same number of track rollers and track carriers (maybe same part numbers?). Tracks (chains/pads) and idlers might be different(?); I know our rear sprockets are different since I have replaceable segments vs the D6B one-piece sprocket/gear. Likely/A$$ume you have the leaf spring-pack for the front suspension/equalizer system as I have...

Around June I'll be back at my D5 to measure/verify/photo parts if need be...I do remember the track frame guards being pretty beefy (like Leadfarmer said). I A$$ume the power shift transmission (and maybe bevel gear?) are the same? Finals, steering clutches, brakes, blade, hydraulics, etc I a$$ume are a bit different (beefier?) on the D6B...although I give Cat the credit of using what was on the shelve vs fabbing-up-new...so maybe we are running the same stuff??

First question/observation about your machine- how come I'm not seeing a fuel primer/plunger?? I noticed in your other thread, the motor pic shows the empty hole/spot in the secondary filter-housing for the plunger to mount. Checkout my (messy) engine- see opposite the fuel pressure gauge there's a black plunger knob (below the air bleed knob)...I'm thinking you don't want to run out of fuel!! ; ) More likely your plunger/primer is located in a different spot??

Also have you peeked under your sight "glass" to see the number of hours on your machine (and if your hour meter works!!?)? I wouldn't trust it, but fun to look/"know"

Lastly- I'm sure you've removed the thumb-screw on the primary fuel bowl (right below the hour meter) to then unscrew the brass/mesh filter to clean/inspect...I waited too long to dive into mine...but I also had issues with my primer/plunger so didn't want to loose prime...especially as I was troubleshooting/problem solving (lots of) other issues...either way, my recommendation is don't wait to clean that out since it WILL catch crap coming from your tank!!

Anyway, CAT will have the primer/plunger for you if you don't have one- "issue" I ran into when replacing mine is the number of jam/lock nuts used on the current version is less than the original (and the threads on the "body" of the new plunger are metric vs my 60's version was standard; so couldn't reuse "old" jam nuts on new part) - but overall the new plunger/primer functions and I can move the needle of the fuel pressure gauge when priming...

Excited to see more pics of your D6B...and in-action too!!

71088576978__785586A3-B2DE-4EB6-B6B8-12E2E1BFA073.jpeg IMG_2954.jpeg 71096863739__54D1DF95-523D-4D91-A962-2A35776F4E1D.jpeg 71096860416__9A2A0DE7-4B6E-4B66-A28A-CB29201CEE43.jpeg

Homer Dokes

Occupation
Hey HomerD... cool D6B; definitely fun to see/follow your "new" machine!

I have a late-sixties D5 and I can see A LOT of similarities between our machines. Initial look at your pics (https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/threads/60-cat-d6b-steering-issues.106691/) I believe we are running the same D333 (non turbo, which I believe is a D333a (vs 333b being turbo) . Trackframes and recoil springs look same/similar (my D5 has grease fittings for the track tensioners...I believe the D6B is threaded adjusters??). Looks like we have the same number of track rollers and track carriers (maybe same part numbers?). Tracks (chains/pads) and idlers might be different(?); I know our rear sprockets are different since I have replaceable segments vs the D6B one-piece sprocket/gear. Likely/A$$ume you have the leaf spring-pack for the front suspension/equalizer system as I have...

Around June I'll be back at my D5 to measure/verify/photo parts if need be...I do remember the track frame guards being pretty beefy (like Leadfarmer said). I A$$ume the power shift transmission (and maybe bevel gear?) are the same? Finals, steering clutches, brakes, blade, hydraulics, etc I a$$ume are a bit different (beefier?) on the D6B...although I give Cat the credit of using what was on the shelve vs fabbing-up-new...so maybe we are running the same stuff??

First question/observation about your machine- how come I'm not seeing a fuel primer/plunger?? I noticed in your other thread, the motor pic shows the empty hole/spot in the secondary filter-housing for the plunger to mount. Checkout my (messy) engine- see opposite the fuel pressure gauge there's a black plunger knob (below the air bleed knob)...I'm thinking you don't want to run out of fuel!! ; ) More likely your plunger/primer is located in a different spot??

Also have you peeked under your sight "glass" to see the number of hours on your machine (and if your hour meter works!!?)? I wouldn't trust it, but fun to look/"know"

Lastly- I'm sure you've removed the thumb-screw on the primary fuel bowl (right below the hour meter) to then unscrew the brass/mesh filter to clean/inspect...I waited too long to dive into mine...but I also had issues with my primer/plunger so didn't want to loose prime...especially as I was troubleshooting/problem solving (lots of) other issues...either way, my recommendation is don't wait to clean that out since it WILL catch crap coming from your tank!!

Anyway, CAT will have the primer/plunger for you if you don't have one- "issue" I ran into when replacing mine is the number of jam/lock nuts used on the current version is less than the original (and the threads on the "body" of the new plunger are metric vs my 60's version was standard; so couldn't reuse "old" jam nuts on new part) - but overall the new plunger/primer functions and I can move the needle of the fuel pressure gauge when priming...

Excited to see more pics of your D6B...and in-action too!!

View attachment 304462 View attachment 304496 View attachment 304463 View attachment 304464
Howdy D5Dan,

I had an impression there were a lot of similarities between the D5 and my D6B. It was my understanding that at the end of the life of the D6B Cat made it a D5 which is why I believed there may be a lot in common. Curious if the physical specs of the sprockets are the same. I'd like to keep my eye out for segmented sprockets to replace my fixed ones with if it is at all possible.

The D6B does indeed have the D333 and it runs great. No turbo. Been pushing over trees (up to 10" diameter) and building brush piles and it has done the job well. Thus far I am very pleased with the purchase. I paid $12.5k for the dozer and I'm happy with that as well. There are no major leaks on the engine or any of the hydraulics which is evident in the pics I took. If I am interpreting wear correctly I believe the carriage has over 60% life still left in it at least.

Ya know... I never noticed the primer plunger was missing. Surprised I am not spilling fuel all over or sucking air. The dozer runs great so never considered anything was missing. You've brought up many good points that I have not yet addressed. I am keeping a list so I can follow up on them and report back. Thank you for bringing them to my attention.

Last edited: