• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Compaction question

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Yair . . . Reel hip. I don't see your point mate . . . or the counties point. That's the next owners problem not chroniekon's

The next owner here might want to bring a ten ton load of gravel in . . . well he'll have to upgrade my bridge and culverts, I use a two ton dump or a trailer behind my ute.

Cheers.

That's my thoughts on the subject as well Scrub.;) I know all too well what Reel Hip is talking about though, as I have had to deal with it as well, the local muni's try to protect the "future" owner at the current owners expense.

Using your example Scrub, what if the future owner of your property needs to bring a 40 ton crane for lord knows what. Does that mean you need to put in culverts and a bridge to carry the weight? Where does it stop?:beatsme Personally I think that is over stepping their authority but since when does a gov't inspector ever think about that.:rolleyes:

The assumption that the inspector needs to look after future owners is asinine IMO. Their job is to enforce the codes that apply to the improvements/structure that you are currently building. I guess it's just a by-product of our litigious society..:rolleyes:

Although I do agree with the "Fire Truck Test". I have put in a few long drives for estate homes and part of the final inspection is to make sure the FD can get their firetruck up/down the drive and any bridges or culverts can support the weight. However this is an issue of the owners personal safety and not an assumption of what a future owner may do.

chroniekon

So here's a bit of an update. I just got back from the County Planning Dept. Besides this compaction report they wanted, they also wanted another document from the surveyor so they could sign off on the FEMA report. I got that document from the surveyor yesterday so took everything back today. I haven't done anything with the compaction problem yet so I didn't bring it up...and neither did they!!! They signed off on the FEMA report! No mention of the compaction report. So now I send off the Flood info to FEMA with a $425 check and hopefully they'll approve everything. Can take between 6 and 16 weeks. If it's approved, then it's back to square one for applying for a building permit.

mitch504

Ummm, CM and Scrub, I think you are both in agreement w/ Reel Hip. He said if it was on a jobsite, it should be done to satisfy the owner and the inspectors, but if it is your own property, you should be able to do as you damn well please.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Ummm, CM and Scrub, I think you are both in agreement w/ Reel Hip. He said if it was on a jobsite, it should be done to satisfy the owner and the inspectors, but if it is your own property, you should be able to do as you damn well please.

I am in agreement with him.:beatsme

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Oh, ok, you quoted scrub where he said he didn't see Reel hip's point.:confused:

Hmmm, I see the confusion now, "bolded added" -

Yair . . . Reel hip. I don't see your point mate . . . or the counties point. That's the next owners problem not chroniekon's

I just got on my soap box because this gets under my skin. No hot air aimed at Reel Hip, I was agreeing with him and adding my $.002 after tax.:soapbox

That's what I get for agreeing with Scrub.....just kidding.:D

mitch504

Just for what it's worth, I completely agree w/ Reel Hip. I never ask a beaurocrat anything before I build what I want on my own property. I understand that in some areas, or some situations, that's not practical,but, it will work more often than some people realize.

chroniekon

I live in a rural area, but, on a really busy road just a few miles out of town where the county offices are. My building addition is going to be facing the road and very visable. On top of that, there are a few other projects going on in the area and I'm sure the inspectors are coming by on a fairly regular basis. I'm guessing it would just be a matter of time before they'd force me to get a permit anyway, plus add in some fines. I don't have a problem with playing by their rules and getting the proper permits in this case, as long as common sense prevails. Most of the codes and standards that buildings are built by these days make sense for the areas we live in (at least after they are explained) whether it be wind, flood, snow loads, or what ever. For somebody like me that's not in the profession, just a do-it-yourselfer basically flying by the seat of my pants, the inspectors input can be a resource for putting up a good solid building. I don't, however, want to build it for what the next guy might want it to be. He can go get his own permit.

Reel hip

Occupation
owner operator bobcat"s and dump truck"s
I live in a rural area, but, on a really busy road just a few miles out of town where the county offices are. My building addition is going to be facing the road and very visable. On top of that, there are a few other projects going on in the area and I'm sure the inspectors are coming by on a fairly regular basis. I'm guessing it would just be a matter of time before they'd force me to get a permit anyway, plus add in some fines. I don't have a problem with playing by their rules and getting the proper permits in this case, as long as common sense prevails. Most of the codes and standards that buildings are built by these days make sense for the areas we live in (at least after they are explained) whether it be wind, flood, snow loads, or what ever. For somebody like me that's not in the profession, just a do-it-yourselfer basically flying by the seat of my pants, the inspectors input can be a resource for putting up a good solid building. I don't, however, want to build it for what the next guy might want it to be. He can go get his own permit.

Under those circumstances you really don't have a choice! They will come by anyway, so its better to have the permits in hand. My case I never have anyone drive down my road. It is off the beaten track so I do what I want. (Im lucky) I like most of you have dealt with planning engineers or inspectors that just keep adding things on to keep themselvs on the pay roll. Best of luck to ya and maybe we can post picures on a new thread of our workshops,I'm sure there are some really nice ones with this group.