• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Committed to Buying 2001 Volvo EC160BLB, need Pattern Changer Info and any advice on this machine.

Heavy Chevy

As always, I appreciate all the feedback as I have been going thru several decisions on what to purchase in the 160 family and I chose a 2001 Volvo EC160BLB today. Looks pretty clean for a 22 year old machine; videos show no leaks, no smoke, good UC, plumbed for auxillary hydraulics, comes with demo grapple and bucket. In talking with the owner today, not the actual operator, he doesn't know if it has a pattern changer on it. In the video's he sent, it is set for the International Pattern not the old school backhoe mode that I need. I called the dealer to see if he knew if it was standard or not to have a pattern changer, he wasn't sure but didn't think so. At any rate, does anyone out there have knowledge/schematics that can walk me thru changing the joystick pattern to backhoe mode? I haven't taken delivery yet but working on it.....it is long haul from me ...NY.

Attachments

• 2001 Volvo EC160BLB(Sprocket).jpg
    2001 Volvo EC160BLB(Sprocket).jpg
    401 KB · Views: 18
  • 2001 Volvo EC160BLB.jpg
    2001 Volvo EC160BLB.jpg
    401.3 KB · Views: 21

Heavy Chevy

Good day
See attached.
Kind regards
Uffex
View attachment 295107
Thx Uffex, now if I can make heads or tails of this....lol. From my initial read of this, I'm understanding this to be acquiring an actual pattern changer switch and adding vice just switching lines on already existing hydraulic connections, correct? If so, other than the dealer, can I find a pattern changer for this machine aftermarket? or what would be my best course of action to resolve and add a pattern changer?

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day
If you would like to make a permanent change you can just change the lines, if you need to change back you need a switching valve.
Kind regards
Uffex

Attachments

• H2 change operating pattern-1.pdf
    6.3 MB · Views: 5
  • EC160B MCV.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 3

skyking1

Have you looked in the first cabinet behind the cab. There may be a rotary pattern change valve already plumbed in. If she's already plumbed for options,I would think that would be first choice.
I was hoping the SN would reveal that location, I have not been in a Volvo in ages.

Heavy Chevy

Have you looked in the first cabinet behind the cab. There may be a rotary pattern change valve already plumbed in. If she's already plumbed for options,I would think that would be first choice.
I actually have not put my hands on it yet.....should be getting delivered next week. I sure hope so ...gonna stay optimistic!

Heavy Chevy

As mentioned, valve immediately behind cab. Should look like attached image. So you can flip back n forth from farmer to ISO . Congrats on your purchase.
So since you said that, I looked closer at the pics the owner sent, I'm hoping it is one of those devices is a pattern changer....looking on the wall, I can see a sticker that says "warning"....also looks like it talks about pattern changer!!! I surely hope so!!! Thanks for all the help guys!!! I feel so much better now that I think it actually has one!!!! Yay.

Attachments

• 2001 Volvo EC160BLB (Air Cleaner Compartment).jpg
    2001 Volvo EC160BLB (Air Cleaner Compartment).jpg
    331.4 KB · Views: 13

Heavy Chevy

It was born with it, yes. You provided the serial number, I looked up the line card which shows everything it was built with when born.
YASSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!! My Man!!! Can you tell me if the auxillary hydraulics is 2-way or single flow. The Owner can't tell me and it has lived its life making topsoil and has demo grapple where it lived many years doing house demo's. I asked about the auxillary hydraulics but he can't tell me. What can you tell me about my new baby that I'm excited to get soon? It has never had any attachments other that the demo grapple hooked which doesn't require auxillary hydraulics. Appreciate you!!!

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day
The three way selector valve gives the choice of hammer (One direction) or grab -thumb (two way direction)
See attached its at the arrow "A"
Kind regards
Uffex
1695548615484.png