• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Commercial construction work pictures

skyking1

@dust eater I'm just trying to hang on 1 more year, and days like that make it difficult.
Nobody rents light sheets like mine. I will ask around on my day off Tuesday. Everybody rents road rated, and the lightest ones I see are 5x8 and weigh 1600 . That is just not practical with the 35, but I know I have several footings like that one in the last picture over by the house. Some are side by side with a 6' lump of dirt between, and if I cave all that in to run across I'll have to restore it too.
It is so much faster to plate it and just go like I did above.

skyking1

I had 3 other guys standing there to think about, so that was not an option. The two plumbers got some done in that middle hallway while we dug out those few trenches, and now we are ahead of them come Wednesday. They can lay out and we can get stroking on it.
I think I will go down tomorrow early and talk to the GC about opening the fence and bringing my truck up against the footing in a different spot.
Where the ramp is, I jump right in on a maze of those deep thickened footing digs. This is not the place to drag the pea gravel into the job ;)
I may just fill a bunch of them in and compact, then re-dig them on the way out after backfill.

skyking1

Nobody will rent anything but 1" road plates. I may look it over and get a couple of 5x8's and shoot them in with the 10K forklift they have there.
I can't have their operator do it, as he would not put down an outrigger when setting a heavy electrical vault. I'll bring my card and see if that is an option.

skyking1

The more I looked at it, it was never a thing. I preserved what was possible and tore the living crap out of the rest :p
This is what it looked like. But there is a problem, really 5 problems.
PXL_20231227_162916117.jpg

When we trunked in there, they had a bunch of fill to import and I had to leave some pipes down for the truck show. They are now way down.
Boom! there are 3 of them, about 3' down in all that nice little checkerboard footie footie digs. I dropped the hammer on that and will have to restore it.

PXL_20231227_230453469~2.jpg
I skinnied through that porch area beyond me by running a track down the stemwall. This business is hard on tracks. I bet they are toasted by 1500 hours.

Attachments

• PXL_20231227_230457941~2.jpg
    PXL_20231227_230457941~2.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 10

AzIron

The more I looked at it, it was never a thing. I preserved what was possible and tore the living crap out of the rest :p
This is what it looked like. But there is a problem, really 5 problems.
View attachment 301757

When we trunked in there, they had a bunch of fill to import and I had to leave some pipes down for the truck show. They are now way down.
Boom! there are 3 of them, about 3' down in all that nice little checkerboard footie footie digs. I dropped the hammer on that and will have to restore it.

View attachment 301758
I skinnied through that porch area beyond me by running a track down the stemwall. This business is hard on tracks. I bet they are toasted by 1500 hours.
You get 1500 hrs on tracks I am happy with a 1000

skyking1

There are two more we dug up there, and the plumber had brought out a pump line from that elevator pit. Tomorrow I will dig a couple short runs, and then a long one through that pile in the second picture and under my 18" bucket all the way to the corners. When I am done I'll be banished to the porch there.
@AzIron the machine is just under 1000 hours. I think the OEM tracks last the longest. These still look reasonable.

skyking1

this is better scale to how deep those stubs were, and how those pretty footing digs were a waste of time.
PXL_20231228_154916229.jpg

I backed the truck up to get bedding in there, and we filled that porch up with spoils so yeah, kinda landlocked now.'
PXL_20231228_201340066.jpg

Somebody put Baby in the corner.
PXL_20231228_201726772.jpg

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Why is it that most Contractors of differed trades all try to oitrun each other while screwing each other’s work up? Saw this at so many varied locations, jobs as mechanic or tech. Seems nothing ever changes. The Nuke was insane on this.

skyking1

it is the way of the dirt. The dirt guy puts it right and then I get to restore it. This happens in buildings.
In the field, hopefully the first and only rule applies. DSGIF (Deep Stuff Goes In First).

oarwhat

One plumber we worked with was a pain in my ass. We would rough stone the building so it wasn't a slop hole. He'd always put the old stone to one side and reuse it . Leaving his trenches 3 to 6 inches low. He would never give us any stone. So we started stoning right up to grade. It helped but never back to grade.

skyking1

that never happens on our jobs.
1) I can't get the trenches back above about 95% so there is some swell.
2) Pipe volume.
3) pea gravel bedding import.

I always have excess material I toss out, and the GC and my boss negotiate on that. If the dirt guy is still on the job he usually takes it. I toss it out for him.
If the dirt guy is gone then I haul as many boxes away as I hauled pea gravel in.

skyking1

This job is entered the Twilight zone.
In the 9th inning in the bottom of the ninth inning, the engineer has decided they don't like the way the plumbing is running through the footings. The inspector wouldn't buy it off the way it was and asked for a note from the engineer.
I came down here today prepared to rip out a whole bunch of already inspected plumbing to dig it lower.
Now there's a bunch of back and forth going on between people of a higher pay grade and I'm standing by.

JaredV

In the 9th inning in the bottom of the ninth inning, the engineer has decided they don't like the way the plumbing is running through the footings. The inspector wouldn't buy it off the way it was and asked for a note from the engineer.
I came down here today prepared to rip out a whole bunch of already inspected plumbing to dig it lower.
Now there's a bunch of back and forth going on between people of a higher pay grade and I'm standing by.

Yup, I like it in the woods...

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win

Ugghh I hate those meetings. Finger pointing everywhere and the heaviest hitters (GC, owner, architect, engineer) want the lowly sub to eat their mistake.

skyking1

Yes, carefully digging things up like this monstrosity, cutting it off, dig it down in truly garbage material with bricks and wood in it, repeat!
PXL_20240104_195857451.jpgPXL_20240104_163939371.jpg

Every pipe in that picture above got cut into or otherwise lowered or re-routed today and tomorrow.

here is some of the house demo crap that got laid down in a layer. That is a genuine full 2x10 standing up there, solid and probably VG fir. No I did not bring it home.
PXL_20240104_204717550.jpg

Last edited:

skyking1

Restoring thickened footings yesterday, using the steel plate everywhere on this job. Yes we have had rain day and night.
PXL_20240108_183911811-1.jpg
Today I had a first. I was 3 legging it on one side of the blade and tipped to the boom while swinging the plate out of there. I had to push back upright.
We had cleared out all that material and I tossed that goo out and crawled onto it, and it was not as sturdy as I imagined.
We did all we could and mobilized out of there. Phew!