• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Come along on two pipe wrenches

IceHole

I was helping in a shop and asked for the "big pipe wrench". Got handed this cute little thing that maybe could have snugged up a sink drain.
I brought in Big Bertha from home the next day. We got the cylinder apart

Boss walked by and said "holy ****, didn't know they made them that big!"

And of course I replied with a "that's what she said"

BC Placer gold

My dad worked the oil rigs for many years. Spent a lot of time in the 1980’s on Loffland Brothers 93. A real nice diesel/ electric triple, capable of really deep holes. I was a teenager when he toured us & I still remember the rather impressive pipe wrench ‘display’….some real ‘big boys’. Ridgid of course lol!

Later on during my university years he got me the odd job and I learned (rather poorly) to break connections using the tongs; that is a really impressive ‘giant pipe wrench’ lol! Takes good teamwork & timing to do right….

Welder Dave

I think it was at an auction I saw a Ridged 60" but the handle was cut off with a torch so a 2" pipe fit snuggly on the stub. A couple things crossed my mind. The wrenches are made of some kind of cast steel and who would cut the handle off a 60" Ridged pipe wrench?

cfherrman

Regular pipe wrenches bend, when you use incorrect cheaters or just put way too much load on them or put side load on them, and I've bent them back several times with a press. I imagine the body of a pipe wrench actually breaks it's from being bent back and work hard and made it brittle. I've seen a few broken pipe wrenches around 48-in size that people weld a cheater pipes on to them to fix them but those things are never safe anymore

IceHole

Regular pipe wrenches bend, when you use incorrect cheaters or just put way too much load on them or put side load on them, and I've bent them back several times with a press. I imagine the body of a pipe wrench actually breaks it's from being bent back and work hard and made it brittle. I've seen a few broken pipe wrenches around 48-in size that people weld a cheater pipes on to them to fix them but those things are never safe anymore
Mehhhh "safe". If you squint, it's mint!

Welder Dave

Ridged are warranteed against bending but it would be obvious a snipe was used. I don't think you could break one. The one that was cut off was more likely because it bent rather than it broke. The hook jaw might break though. I had an old National pipe wrench snap the handle off because it was some kind of cast iron. I beveled it and welded it with 7018 and it seems fine. It's only a 14" so I won't use a snipe on it. It broke because I didn't have a bigger pipe wrench and I pushed on it with the loader on the tractor. I welded a piece of channel iron on a steel saw horse and then welded a 3" pipe to the channel hoping to get a 3" pipe fitting off. Nope it was rusted as tight as if it were welded.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Under extreme loads, good alloy tool steel will bend, but cheap-a*** Chinese steel that is just carbon steel, will snap.
Seen more than one guy go a***-up on the ground, when a Chinese tool snapped or fractured under heavy pressure!
I'm sure we all know this, but when whatever was tight comes loose, it can have the same effect as having the tool break, everything falls to the ground including you. So wrench with that in mind.

Also never smile or grimace when pulling/pushing hard, lips can heal, teeth don't.

cfherrman

I had a hook snap and fly off on a 36" and clip a shoulder of a guy. It just brushed him.

It was breaking a collar of a joint with hydraulic power tongs with the 36 backed up to the tongs. I make sure to use a non a used wrench and people are clear of the danger zone.

Old Doug

I have told this story before i was trying to unscrew some part of a cylinder. The shop had a BIG vice mounted to a loader rim. I was using a 966 and 955 with a big pipe wrench . One was push down or holding the vice the other was pushing down on the pipe wrench not very smart but it worked. That vice is about the only thing i would have like to have from that shop.

HarleyHappy

Occupation
Welder/Mechanic
We all do what we have to do in order to get a job done.
Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t.
It’s the ones that don’t learn from their mistakes that keep doing the really dumb stuff.
Ones profitabile ones lucky or not.

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
One of my scariest tool mishaps dates back to my early twenties.

I had a business partner and we worked out of a Texaco station repairing Volvos mainly. We were removing a brake drum from the rear of a 122 Volvo. They fit on a tapered, keyed shaft. We had a massive puller that bolted onto 3 of the lug studs and has a large threaded shaft that would tighten against the axle shaft. We would tighten pressure on the axle then hit the head of the puller shaft with a hammer and eventually the drum would POP! off. this drum was being particularly ornery and I had tightened down on the puller using a half inch pull handle with the floor jack handle on it. I reared back and hit the puller head with a 5 lb sledge and the drum finally let go. It flew straight across the empty bay beside us and stuck into the wall. We're talking about 40 lbs worth of brake drum and puller flying straight for at least 15 feet with no drop and sticking into a sheetrock wall. Greg was standing in front of the axle with me to the rear. We both just looked at each other in shock but glad neither of us were in front of it when it let go. That was the last time we ever pulled one of those drums without having the axle nut loosely threaded back on the axle.

I still have that puller, pull handle, and hammer. I can't count the number of times I have used it and adapted it for other uses.

I recently bent the handle on that pull handle trying to get one of the lug nuts off my truck. I ended up having to order a 3/4' drive socket to fit the lug so I could get them off with my 1" impact. That's another story.

HarleyHappy

Occupation
Welder/Mechanic
I had this brilliant idea about 40 years ago.
I was too cheap to buy an angle grinder so had this genius idea to weld a bolt in a socket so I could use an impact gun to grind with.
Whelp worked great till I let off the trigger and lift it off the work. Went all the way across the garage, about 30 feet.
Socket, bolt and grinding wheel are still in the wall.
Dad painted right around it after trying to pry it out of a stud it’s buried in.