• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

College student looking for advice from some more seasoned mechanics/business owners

old timer

Occupation
field mechanic
Oh.... one more little tid bit....at this juncture of your career I would stick with the dealership, and don't (expletive) where you sleep.
Most employers and especially dealerships frown on that. Could be a career ending decision, and that can follow you for a long time.
There will be time enough later to go independent. (that comes with a whole different set of worries)
Good luck, soak up all the training they offer you, and every day on the floor can be a learning experience.

Mbar

I agree with theses guys. I’ve been on my own for three years now and as mike l stated the education is a on going process. Try to resist the urge to for side work it is a good way to get fired and you don t get much respect from the ones that don’t have a day job to fall back on. My grandad told me one time. Learn all you can because that’s the one thing no one can take away. Keep gaining knowledge and you will go far.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I actually asked a employer if he had a conflict with my working out of a service truck on machines his shop would never see, said go for it. School of Hard Knocks and side classes in Too Little Sleep from that juncture on, careful of what you ask for.