• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cold weather starting skytrak/ lull 9038 also brake ?

c.h.risco

I have a skytrak 9038 (ford Diesel) that is very difficult to start in cold weather. I have a coolant/block heater plugged in. It does not seem to turn over fast enough checked the batteries and they are ok. I put them on a trickle charge overnight. It still just turns slow. Any help from anyone that operates these in cold weather would be a great help. Also can someone explain to me the brake system to me? It looks like I have a master cylinder with some large hydraulic lines to it. Do not appear to be operating properly. Leaking from the master cylinder.

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
I'd check/replace the wiring to the starter, pull off the grounds make sure to give em' a good scraping/wire brushing.

Are the battery/ies stock setup you may need bigger/more batts if someone has changed things. What kind of oil are you running? Also have you looked in the owners manual for troubleshooting cold starts???

c.h.risco

Bigger batteries and I put 2 of them. I am not sure on the oil just got the machine in the process of servicing it. Any suggestions for the motor oil and also should I put a lighter weight oil for hydraulics? Not much out there for materials on this machine.

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
Here is a page from a 9038 manual showing the brake circuit and parking brake setup...WARNING!!! Yours may be different since you don't know what the serial number is and there are several serial breaks... It is very common for them to make substantial changes at a serial number break.

skytrk9038-brakecircuit.jpg

skytrk9038-brakepts.jpg

c.h.risco

Thanks for that info
According to this info my accumulating charging valve is leaking. That is where my brake pedal goes into (just like a master cylinder.) Can that be rebuilt? Does anyone know of a company that does this??

skata

Assuming batteries are good, you could have a weak starter. Cables could be corroded or undersized. Run 5w40 oil. It's thinner when cold. Use starting fluid to help start.