• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CODE RESET?

512high

Hi All, I have a compact JD 244J wheel loader, now and then trips a code "E601D". no other code appears, John Deere dealership wants $300-$350.00 to read code, they said it is a general service code, try changing filters etc., I changed fuel filters/engine oil and filter, HYDRO was change withe filter last year only 100 hours since that was done if that, machine is used for winter only, sits inside started year round once a month etc. if not used

Do they make a handheld code reader that can also reset for this small loader? Machine is running fine, noticed no other issues etc.. or do these code "reset" themselves if a service is done, or say a sensor is changed? just trying to save a few bucks, but if there was some device I would rather buy then call JD to read it, that way I could have the device on hand.

Some say I have to purchase John Deere service advisor software at $2,000

thanks

Philip

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Unfortunately no, there is no code reader for those machines. The E601D code is a complicated situation. It basically means that Service Advisor has to be connected to find out what SPN/FMI code is setting the E601D.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
I am going to back pedal a little. Looking at the schematic the ECU has a direct connection to the 9 pin Deutsch diagnostic connector. If you have an engine code causing your E601D then a heavy duty truck code scanner "might" be able to pull codes since Deere uses the J1939 standard. If you try that keep in mind that you "MUST KEY ON AND LET INSTRUMENT PANEL FINISH IT'S BULB CHECK" before you hook up any scan tools, including Service Advisor. I have not nor do I know anyone who has tried that. The Liebherr Chassis Control Unit's software is very sensitive and having a tool plugged into the diagnostic port before keying on can corrupt the software and give you bigger problems. If you can get any codes let me know and I'll let you know what they mean. I think your dealer is over charging as well with a $300+ fee. We charge $150 to hook up (+ travel charges if it is on the road).

512high

Mg2361, thanks so much ! I have seen HD hand held readers with 9 pin hookup, for gosh $300.00 or so...quality? If and I use that word "if" it picks up a code will it read the code like service advisor software would? Meaning if JD service advisor read E123D, would I see the same or will it be generic and somehow cross reference?

I am not a mechanic I'm hands on, my dealer is 40 miles away maybe that's why on the cost to read, I have no trailer to haul it up. However you scare me how sensitive the cpu/display is, will investigate before I pull the trigger on a handheld, if anyone can help, please chime in on what type/brand I should look at, Mg2361 your picture/avatar looks like my fuse panel lol!

Thanks for helping me with this

philip

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
If it will read the codes it should be in the SPN/FMI format (XXXXXX.XX) just as it would in Service Advisor. Yes my avatar is the fuse panel in a 324K.