• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Code 19140, DEF quality sensor out of range

Kevin Cohrs

Have a 2017 Case 2050M Dozer. Machine has been sitting for around a year and is now giving some DEF system issues. We have drained all of the old DEF fluid from the tank and filled with fresh. Had the Case dealer tech come out and take a look yesterday. On his computer the DEF percentage is only showing 18 when it should be around 32 or so with fresh fluid. He can clear the code but it comes back almost immediately. He is thinking the DEF quality sensor is either bad or dirty and giving a false reading. Sounds like its built into the module assembly that goes inside the tank. Thoughts on this? Maybe the sensor can just be cleaned and save the $950 part? Appreciate any ideas!

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
DEF level, temp and quality are integrated into a "smart sensor " It is it's own "electronic device. Have you had the quality of the new DEF checked? Either with the electronic quality tester or the refractometer? Just because something is new, doesn't mean it's good. DEF has a short shelf life.

BigWrench55

Emission systems are federally mandated to be warranted by the manufacturer. I don't remember what the exact numbers are, but it is something like 5 years or 5-7500k hours. Whichever comes first. That should be under warranty. Another thing to try is to drain the def with the key on and engine off. Turn off the key and fill it back up with def. That will reset the timer to test the quality. It's possible that the code comes right back because it hasn't run Another quality test. It will only run quality test when it sees the level drop and come back up. By the way.... Def has a shelf life of 6 months at room temperature. The hotter and more humid it is the shorter the shelf life.

Kevin Cohrs

DEF level, temp and quality are integrated into a "smart sensor " It is it's own "electronic device. Have you had the quality of the new DEF checked? Either with the electronic quality tester or the refractometer? Just because something is new, doesn't mean it's good. DEF has a short shelf life.
I just last week bought a new 55 gallon barrel of DEF that I put in the machine. Used the same fluid in another machine and that one says its at 32 percent...

Kevin Cohrs

Emission systems are federally mandated to be warranted by the manufacturer. I don't remember what the exact numbers are, but it is something like 5 years or 5-7500k hours. Whichever comes first. That should be under warranty. Another thing to try is to drain the def with the key on and engine off. Turn off the key and fill it back up with def. That will reset the timer to test the quality. It's possible that the code comes right back because it hasn't run Another quality test. It will only run quality test when it sees the level drop and come back up. By the way.... Def has a shelf life of 6 months at room temperature. The hotter and more humid it is the shorter the shelf life.
The tech also did a few software updates to the machine while he was out. Figured it wouldn't hurt to try that and see if it made any difference. I never thought about draining it with the key on
That makes total sense. Thanks!

Kevin Cohrs

I think what Paul said is something I definitely need to look into. The system needs to reset the timer for the quality meter... Atleast I hope!