• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CMI Motor Graders

Ductmaster

Anyone have any pics or information on CMI motor graders. I have seen 2 in person, but did not have a camera. The only pics I have found is of the CMI Autoblade, but very little information. If any one has operated one of these please chime in. These are some large machines even by todays standards, and the Autoblade looked like quite the machine.

>HevyIndsMFGng<

Occupation
Mechanic/Student
The CMI autoblade came out in 1969. Its like a scraper and has a power module at each end of the machine producing 225 HP, it is hydrostatically driven as well. I'm sure you noticed the cab can rotate in each direction for better viewing of the moldboard in various positions.

Ductmaster

Still no pics but I did find this.
In 1969, another massive motor grader, the double-articulated Autoblade, was introduced by CMI Corporation. This machine was 40 feet (12 m) long, weighed 65,000 pounds (29,484 kg), and contained a power module at both ends. Each module contained a 225 horsepower diesel engine using hydrostatic power. Each engine drove four wheels, making it an eight wheel drive machine. This model, whose cab could rotate 180 degrees in either direction, was capable of precision grading in paving jobs.

Thanks for the leed HevyIndsMFGng I will keep looking.

blademan150

Occupation
Retired Local 150 Operating Engineer
Thanks for the link.....Not to much ground clearance under the front end and that scarifier location would cut down on visibilty....I can see why they're not around anymore, I know I wouldn't want one, but then again I'm no fan of the Cat M's either..... Clyde

mitch504

Now I remember them!

The front end is set up that way to raise and lower the blade w/o changing the side to side grade setting.

bigshow

Those front ends usually sit higher, they have an independent front suspension,per say, that uses hyd. Cylinders to raise and lower the front end, I'm sure they just drifted down.

SeaMac

Occupation
Operator
WOW Pete,

Those photo's bring back memories. In 1986 I-95 was not a complete highway, it ended southbound in Fort Pierce, FL, northbound in Palm Beach Gardens, FL. but was soon to have those 41 miles completed. I was on that project tasked with roadway lighting and the outfit working in Palm Beach Gardens did a demo with a CMI. I recall them referring to it as a CMI Laser Grader. The dealer demo Op and reps set up the laser towers then the Op hopped in it, lit a cigar, fired her up, put her in gear and off she went. Freakin' thing was HUGE!

I don't remember the Op making any moldboard adjustments other than the initial set, the machine was automatic. Sadly, they must've had a technical glitch or two, maybe a few 'cause it wasn't long before that old CMI started to dive then washboard a sub-base previously dialed-in the old-fashioned way. Needless to say it was loaded up, carted away and never seen again. Seemed like a good idea at the time I'm sure, CMI, technology and I-95 weren't ready back then it would so appear.

Thanks for the photos and memories, kinda dates me though...Oh well, thanks anyway! :)

bigshow

CMI was so far ahead of their time it scared most people, truly a shame, their trimmers cut perfect grade, the super 500 was frickin' awesome and huge!

Ductmaster

I looked for CMI pics until 4am last nite and some today. I found some pics and some are the same as above but I did find some others. As soon as I can figure out how to post pics I will post them.

Ductmaster

I have 1 more but cannot get it to load. Have to run that through the laptop, the Ipad just is not cutting it.

I would love to see some close ups of that 8 wheel auto blade.images-1.jpegthumbnail-1.jpegimages-5.jpeg

firebird380hp

Occupation
grade foreman
here is a pic. of a cmi I use to run not this one but just like it...
78trimmer.jpg

Bob/Ont

here is a pic. of a cmi I use to run not this one but just like it...
78trimmer.jpg

Cat bought most if not all of their production back then, except the Grader. I did see one of those Hystat Graders the size of a 16, had a D343 engine. All I did to it was adjust the travel linkage to neutral. I'm not an operator, but would have liked to have worked it for a while.
Later Bob

Ductmaster

There must not of been many CMI graders built. I thought some one may have some more pics, but it is looking thin. Sure would like to see some pics or video of that 8 wheel monster. I guess I keep hunting,

oregon96pd

Anyone see the primer pump on that thing....holy crap, you could prime the titanic with that.

on edit nevermind, thats got to have something to do with hydraulics.

Last edited:

bigshow

CMI had a series of two tanks for the hydraulics, should the main tank run low, you used that hand pump to pump from the secondary tank through a filter and into the primary tank. They wanted to make sure there were no contaminants in the hyd. Oil.