• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

clutch friction disk directional pads

towbar

Occupation
retired
Having no manual I did my clutch assembly with reference to an exploded view in the parts book to see which side of the friction disk went which way. NOT a great method, admittedly, it showed that the hub riveted onto the disk went on the transmission side. In this image that is toward the floor, looking closely the hub is riveted from the bottom side of the disk. SOME disks are printed "This side to flywheel", mine wasn't.

vlcsnap-clutchhub-crop.png

Engine rotation at the lower circumference in the image would be to the left. I just read in another forum that the disk pads are directional so I want to use this bit of info to validate the above parts-diagram method. The way I installed it (shown) has the pads raked in the same direction as engine rotation. IF this is the way the disk has to be in relation to engine rotation then I don't have to disassemble and start over.

towbar

Occupation
retired
You got me with that one! It's one of very few steps I did not fully document with pictures. From What I do have on hand, the friction disk rivets seem about the same depth as the hub rivets maybe at 1/16" out from the substrate plate. This means that the (pto) clutch would be worn down to rivets by the time the hub rivets would reach the flywheel level. The flywheel hub bolts are in what looks like a 1/2" recess augmented by another 1/16" one providing ample room.

friction-plate.png flywheel-hub-bolts.png

BUT now that I cannot be sure and since the engine is still waiting to join the transmission I think I will remove the clutch to make sure. I just plain don't like loose ends :)

BTW I think the directionality is about the slits and has to do with dust dispersal and not with friction as such.

towbar

Occupation
retired
...done.

Plenty of clearance.
916-counterbore.png 716-clearance.png

This time I used four M8 threadrods with nuts to initially secure the clutch. This allowed for a loose fit making alignment real easy (had made my own tool). The stock bolts are too short for this.
m8-threadrod.png