• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Clutch chattering noise in D7-F.

T.McG

I have a 1972 D7-F 10K. When backing up and turning in either direction, it makes a loud chattering noise when I brake it that sounds like a clutch slipping. Dozer does not seem to slow down when this happens and it has never done it in forward gears. Sometimes when backing up a slope, it will do it if you idle down some without clutching or turning and then when you speed back up to full throttle it will stop chattering. It does not do it all the time but seems to happen more after it has run for about an hour or so. I have had this dozer for just a few months and it runs great except for that.

T.McG

I just talked to the previous owner and he said he noticed
the chattering at times also but he would let the dozer cool off for a while and then it wouldn't do it until it got warmed up again. He said that his dad had the tranny rebuilt and put new steering clutch packs in it at that time but he used 30 w engine oil in it at first until his mechanic told him to change it to Cat trans oil, which he did. Not sure how long he ran the 30W but the rebuild has ~1600 hrs on it. Could the 30W have done something to the clutches in a short time to make them slip? BTW, there was nothing noticeable in any of the filters.