• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cloudy Gauges

nicky 68a

sometimes they clear up themselves after they have been warmed up after a few shifts.Leave it until the machine is mobile and working all day.it may work

AllDodge

sometimes they clear up themselves after they have been warmed up after a few shifts.Leave it until the machine is mobile and working all day.it may work

Appreciate the reply, but not sure it will work here. The ones that look good are new, the others are pretty much 25 sum year old gauges

wilko

Guessing they're fogged on the inside, so unless you can take them apart Lens Magick wouldn't do much.

mitch504

I once took an expensive 6" gauge that was made like those and started out with a pocket knife tip, then bigger and bigger tiny flat screwdrivers. I worked around and around the perimeter between the chrome bezel and the glass, prying it up a tiny bit at a time around and around until I could lift out the lens. If you try to take a big bite, the chrome will tear.

Once I had the lens out, I cleaned it good, left the gauge face up in the sunshine most of the day, then took a fine pair of needle-nose pliers and worked around and around the edge folding the bezel back down. again, tiny bites is most important. It left it with a scalloped appearance, but it beat hundreds of dollars for a guage for a fertilizer processor.It lasted the 7 or 8 yrs the machine did. I practiced on a scrap gauge first.

Garrie Denny

Occupation
see above
If the ones that are fogged are 25 years old they definitely wont be plastic, there glass,next find out the distortion,in or out of the glass. Outside easy fix-outside if they cannot be taken apart, Newbies.

Delmer

\ if they cannot be taken apart

I never expected to hear that on here? I thought anything could be taken apart with enough patience or a big enough hammer:D

You can take them apart like Mitch described, or pry the crimp off from the back side, or sand through the edge on a belt or disc sander then glue it back together.

Agreed, those are probably glass and the cloud is on the inside surface, it will wipe right off if you can get to it.

AllDodge

If the ones that are fogged are 25 years old they definitely wont be plastic, there glass,next find out the distortion,in or out of the glass. Outside easy fix-outside if they cannot be taken apart, Newbies.

Must have been replaced, these are plastic lenses. Guess it's back to buying, thanks for the responses to all

OldandWorn

Must have been replaced, these are plastic lenses. Guess it's back to buying, thanks for the responses to all

Have you tried to clean them with anything? There are all sorts of products that will make them like new again if on the outside which most of it probably is. Try the 2 different grades of plastic cleaner/polish from an auto store first. Even car paint products will work and are essentially the same as plastic cleaners. Rubbing and polishing compounds, scratch removers...etc. Start out with something not too coarse but coarse enough to get most of the haze off and then finish up with polish.

pp13bnos

While it won't bring it back original condition, using plain old car wax on them will clear them up a bit. I did this to my foggy gauges and it does make them better....but not by any means perfect. Worth a try.