• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cleaning the lines after a pump failure

fiatmom

My JD 310 A had a pump failure which seized it up. I replaced the pump with a used one I found, but the system was open while I repaired the crank and replaced the pulley. How can I clean the lines to make sure there is no water, rust or other material in the lines. I do not want to replace another pump.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Well..... any connection you can open up and swab the likes like you're cleaning a shotgun is a start. If there's access into the reservoir open it up and clean as much as possible. On a smaller machine like that you could possibly plumb a pump in and flush it with solvent or cheap hydraulic oil to push the crud out. Any effort you make is certainly with the trouble. What killed the pump? Any idea? Make sure you don't have a cylinder that's funar'd and making metal. Even flushing with a pump there's still oil in cylinders etc. Get lots of spare filters and oil. I'd be tempted to run the cheapest oil you can find, run each function in and out a few times. Drop the oil and repeat. Then do it again and again a few times. After a bunch of those send some oil samples in. No super easy smoking gun way to do it.

fiatmom

Well I got it back together and it works well but it still needs more flushing. I am going to pull the screen on the tranney side of the filter to see if it is clean. Has anyone used Travelers oil from Tractor Supply. I was told to use Wolfs Head even though the Travelers meets the JD specs.

T-town

Occupation
retired !
I use it...... no issues. On a 310B.
When you pull the screen, insert a magnetic pickup tool in there and see what you bring out..