• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

cleaning out belly pan area bobcat t 190

slowstep

Occupation
retired insurance agent, went physical work
The belly pan area on this unit has collected about 1/1/2 in dirt mixed with hyd fluid and I want to washout and and remove . How do I go about this? and what electronics should avoid getting wet? and what precautions should I take. and where will this debri come out . Will it be in the engine compartment? can't hardly tell where it will run out.

dave esterns

well, my strategy would be to not clean it out! but that is me and i have been known to have "different" opinions.

i have tried such things before and it is definitely a project. you could try a vacuums cleaner and compressed air. seems to me u have to tip the machine to the back and to each side and take the covers off the sides and spray the hose for like an hour and you still wont have it cleaned out. and its not like the water will necessarily just run out, it tends to just stay in the machine. you will prolly have to stick your hand in there and try to pull stuff out too.

i wouldn't recommend getting any of the electronics wet!

now that i think about it i never checked for an access panel under the machine. i dont think there is one but i could be wrong.

Last edited:

slowstep

Occupation
Dave , your probably right, just a lot of dirt and looks like one before me had a bad hose or connection ,and its kinda like gunk working around in there. well if you have any Ideas other than pulling the motor and pump let me know ,, thanks

Bobcatdan

There is two or four, I don't remember on the underside. Slide under there and curse at the bolts because the heads will be so beat up and impossible to get a socket on. Raise the boom arms and flip the cab. Next pressure wash for two hours or to when you say good enough. Skidsteers are really only clean once, when new. There is nothing you will harm with a pressure washer under.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
You don't get a Bobcat clean...just clean-er than it was. One small cover on each side of belly, not a very big hole, but a hole nevertheless. The one on curbside is under hyd reservoir, which makes it hard to rinse junk down through. Like Bobcatdan said, two hours or more, going from front to back, front to back, front to back. And if it has the two covers at front of machine, remove them to wash junk from underneath foot pedals.

slowstep

Occupation
Bobcatdan and Willie59 appreciate you guys replies sounds like , this debri didn't get here in one day, and after listening to the both of you .I may make this a gradual process and a PM type effort weekly. I will look for the drain holes. and start the process to remove gradually. Thanks a bunch.

NCPIPELINE

Occupation
The Fixer
There is two or four, I don't remember on the underside. Slide under there and curse at the bolts because the heads will be so beat up and impossible to get a socket on. Raise the boom arms and flip the cab. Next pressure wash for two hours or to when you say good enough. Skidsteers are really only clean once, when new. There is nothing you will harm with a pressure washer under.

Here is what I do, pull the bobcat up on a hill, I have a nice slopped bay at the end of my building, open the cab up, pop open the back door, open all 4 access panels, put on rain suit with hood, saftey glasses and keep your mouth closed, jump up there and get to it, 2+ hours of washing and like they said you still wont get it all, but it does help a great deal to try to keep them clean. We wash & rinse the inside of our machines weekly. Really helps with repair times come! :drinkup

slowstep

Occupation
Say NCPIPELINE now that sound like a plan--would it be ok if I wear my new nike tennis shoes(white ONES that is) ---for grip you understand. I got a rain coat also. Well NC talking about the nikes, yesterday in preparing to paint this unit (so I can paint it again). I wore my good nikes to power wash excess grease on all the pivot points guess what ? my shoes got some permanet black stain now. Yep I'm from texas.---so shoe deal will work now, no problem. -------and thanks I will give it a whirl "I mean a wash." well on second thought that could be a whirl .slip ~~~~~~~~~ slidin on that hyd. and grease gunk coming out of the belly of that thing . .I'll Let you know the outcome.

NCPIPELINE

Occupation
The Fixer
LOL! Ya man! I still love what Willie said, bobcats are never clean... So true, but not just bobcats, any machine, they just didnt make the access plates big enough to get the GUNK out!

slowstep

Occupation
NC, well Willie was the one who gave me the iniative to clean mine up . I have read his thread 3 times on rebuilding the spool valve on the bobcat ,and his fingers ain't even greasy. Shucks on my unit you get greasy checkin the antifreeze.

slowstep

Occupation
nc noticed you have a t190 .just wanted to know what size socket fit those sprocket bolts its close to 1 1/8 in . I ordered a 29mm and its a little loose .or is it perhaps 28mm which I don,t have ?

Bobcatdan

I know I use a SAE socket for the sproket bolts, think it is an 1 1/8". You start getting that big, it doesn't matter.

slowstep

Occupation
Yes to that statement CM that "experience and wisdom" --- that makes life easier when working--on these machines --to the beginner like me its a lesson everyday for a long time. Then when you got it down it changes again--- thats what makes this forum work its people learning lessons everyday and sharing those lessons learned when someone needs it. Glad to be a member. Thanks also BOBCATDAN I will use my 1 1/8 inch. with a good cheater bar. to break those sprocket bolts loose.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
NC, well Willie was the one who gave me the iniative to clean mine up . I have read his thread 3 times on rebuilding the spool valve on the bobcat ,and his fingers ain't even greasy. Shucks on my unit you get greasy checkin the antifreeze.

LoL, well, if I'm doing control valve spool seals on a Bobcat, the first thing I do is wash it. I'm not fond of busting open hydraulics on a machine that is slime from front to back. :D

I've done the same for customer machines, washed them for 4 hrs because they're so bad and only charge them for 2 hrs. Have done this just as a courtesy. It means something to them to get back their machine with it nice and clean, or at least...clean-er. ;)

slowstep

Occupation
Willie59, quite refreshing to here that there are still folks, that money is not the only driving force behind all motives, sometimes its just plain ole pride in your work, and doing something good, for someone else , that has put their trust in you to do your best for them, my hats off to you.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Willie59, quite refreshing to here that there are still folks, that money is not the only driving force behind all motives, sometimes its just plain ole pride in your work, and doing something good, for someone else , that has put their trust in you to do your best for them, my hats off to you.

Thanks for the "hats off", but it's really just old fashioned business sense. Those "couple of hours" that I have given away on occasion has brought me more business (money) than what charging for those few hours would have ever done. To do honest work for a fair price is a win win for both parties, and the bonus is it doesn't cause sleepless nights. ;)

slowstep

Occupation
well its good to know old fashion business sense is still at work. people can learn from experienced ones if they just listen . thanks for the thought.