• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Class A license med cert and eye test

oceanobob

Occupation
general contractor
I posted this here since most in this forum probably have to maintain a medical certificate to drive their trucks.
When I do my medical cert, I either go to my regular doc who typically wants lab urine and blood tests, or I go to a industrial medical clinic for more expedient processing. The regular doc is no longer enrolled in the "submittal system" anymore so it looks like the 'approved clinic' is the new norm.
But I typically requested my eyedoc do the vision portion since I have to wear glasses. Last visit, I was told to expect cataract surgery in one eye: I have procrastinated on this and time for the med cert is now prompting me to 'get er done'. Just learned I had a cataract forming in the other eye so I am slated for the both eyes to be done.
Based on other folks report of greatly improved vision after the surgery, maybe I will be able to just go to the clinic and readily pass the eyetest after my cataract procedures.

redneckracin

Occupation
Civil Engineer
Good luck with the aurgery! It's such a sham for those medical cards. That whole system needs to be overhauled. My pcp won't sign up for the certification so I don't visit them anymore since they included it in my regular checkups. I started going to Walmart for either 69 or 79 bucks. Pretty hard to beat.

oceanobob

Occupation
general contractor
One eye done last week and the other tomorrow. The new lens has dispensed with the use of glasses for reading this computer, the newspaper, labels, instructions on packages. And distance is very good but am slightly outdone by a person with some new progressive lenses. Looking forward to 'duplex' correction.

Wes J

In my state, you don't need the medical if you stay inside the state. Not sure if it's that way everywhere.

What I see putting guys out is blood pressure and weight. I've known several guys the doc would not approve until they got out of the "morbid" obesity category.

I used to work for a farmer with an old L9000 Ford truck. No air ride seat and not much room in those old day cabs. We had a driver who was so big he couldn't get his foot on the clutch. He tried, but he would just ride the clutch all the time. In the interest of the throw out bearing, he was reassigned.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
One eye done last week and the other tomorrow. The new lens has dispensed with the use of glasses for reading this computer, the newspaper, labels, instructions on packages. And distance is very good but am slightly outdone by a person with some new progressive lenses. Looking forward to 'duplex' correction.
I'm facing cataract surgery soon, Just curious, what lenses did you pick? I want my near sight out 40-50' back to perfect. Wearing glasses for distance vision never really bothered me.

oceanobob

Occupation
general contractor
Lens is a Tecnis Symfony ... has an extended range of focus. I indicated no golfing/airplane flying/high speed driving etc nor any other reason for long range vision to be spectacular. For me, most important is to read, work on equipment, wiring, and drive around town w no problem .... all w no glasses. Even tried it out by doing a little welding the other day (using the one eye that was completed last week). Lighting while driving in the night may be somewhat different, and for some can be difficult.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Lens is a Tecnis Symfony ... has an extended range of focus. I indicated no golfing/airplane flying/high speed driving etc nor any other reason for long range vision to be spectacular. For me, most important is to read, work on equipment, wiring, and drive around town w no problem .... all w no glasses. Even tried it out by doing a little welding the other day (using the one eye that was completed last week). Lighting while driving in the night may be somewhat different, and for some can be difficult.
Thanks, meeting the surgeon next Monday to discuss options.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Wish I had the option. The Doc at the DOT physical clinic last time kinda cheated and helped a tad with my left eye vision. I can memorize a chart and knowing they do look can get down to 20/40 where I just pass, my eye is closer to 20/90 on a good day. Last eye doc stated too much damage to too many parts to actually fix, maybe in 10-20 years will have the technology to do me some good which is great as I will be well over 70 maybe even 80 and won't care.

oceanobob

Occupation
general contractor
I keep thinking I will wake up and need to use my glasses. It is that profound. If it wasn't for the cataract, I would be doing my thing with the George Burns glasses to drive and another pair of prescription safety glasses for reading and closeup work.
The night driving is so so, and I reserve comments as I have been only doing a little sample on the local roads that I am familiar with. But I am thinking it should be ok - but some of these car headlights sure are bright.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
I keep thinking I will wake up and need to use my glasses. It is that profound. If it wasn't for the cataract, I would be doing my thing with the George Burns glasses to drive and another pair of prescription safety glasses for reading and closeup work.
The night driving is so so, and I reserve comments as I have been only doing a little sample on the local roads that I am familiar with. But I am thinking it should be ok - but some of these car headlights sure are bright.
Good to hear this. Going in tomorrow for my consult. As far as the night lights, is that from just having better vision? My cataracts just make a big blur.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Is called a Starburst effect or Prismatic effect as the new lens had to be inserted by lifting the cornea, some scarring and some distortions cause it. Believe me I deal with it on that bad eye.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Is called a Starburst effect or Prismatic effect as the new lens had to be inserted by lifting the cornea, some scarring and some distortions cause it. Believe me I deal with it on that bad eye.

Just got back from the Doc. Scheduled for June 21, next eye 2 weeks later.
He said the process he uses barely disturbs the cornea, very small incision, insert small "blender" to liquefy the old lens that is sucked with a needle vacuum and insert new lens with another hollow needle. No lifting and no sutures.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I am not certain that matters as to the how, just the effect of having been done seems to set it off. Wife has it, all my friends that have had the surgery have it. I have a healed split in my cornea where that refracts light like nobody's business, worse behind a rain drop coated w/s at night.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
I am not certain that matters as to the how, just the effect of having been done seems to set it off. Wife has it, all my friends that have had the surgery have it. I have a healed split in my cornea where that refracts light like nobody's business, worse behind a rain drop coated w/s at night.
Yeah. I have a big scar on the right Cornea that does the same thing, plus adds a little double vision in that eye once in a while. Doc says they could scrape it off, but very painful and may not do any good. I'm just holding to see what the cat surgery does.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
My Cataract has not changed in 30 years, happened in 1987 so the Eye Doc does not ever expect it to come out. Scar on the cornea is what drives mine but the opaqueness in my lens (the cataract) amplifies the light sources.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
My Cataract has not changed in 30 years, happened in 1987 so the Eye Doc does not ever expect it to come out. Scar on the cornea is what drives mine but the opaqueness in my lens (the cataract) amplifies the light sources.
Kinda like looking at a light through the shower door? I know all about that.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Pretty much. It has improved some over the years, That was told to me to expect and not to expect too much. The act of blinking has smoothed the scar somewhat and the cornea has relaxed from where was stitched up. To fix mine would take a corneal transplant, a iris reconfiguration and then the cataract replacement. The second one the doctors have no repair for so I am SOL. Started off in '87 20/250 with glasses on in that eye, I can regularly hit 20/80 now yet still have to cheat as to the DOT eye exam.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
My issue is color. Red is red on a fire truck. Smaller objects not really. Green and brown are very similar, Red, and green are barely different. I know traffic signals by position. Doctors can't fix that.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Color blind can be a problem. I do not have color recognition issues but had I, I would not have been allowed to be an operator at the nuke. Controls were lighted for the most part, Green is Good Red your Dead. Also had blue standby and yellow faulted.