• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Clark transmission help

03hdrk

If I get a email I watch these threads. Let me know if you need more help. I did not look at everything I wrote, so I might repeat myself. I worked on a FR140 years ago. There were 2 diode blocks under the joystick area that look like relays. One of the diodes inside one of the diode blocks was bad causing stuck in 3 if I remember correctly. Don't get the diode blocks and relays positions mixed up. I can tell you how to check the diodes if you need help

BigDutchman

Hey there, wow didnt think on the diodes .... but im located outside winnsboro tx , 9036295381, but yes your expertise would be greatly appreciated lol , i got your forum messages printed out, gonna bring them to the shop monday

03hdrk

2546315511 -
I could tell which ones diode blocks because they were lighter than a normal relay. I popped the cover off and they had 3 diodes soldered to the 5 terminals in a certain configuration. I think both blocks were the same. I have seen this on one other peice of equipment since then but I cant remember which one - may have been a manlift. I tested the diodes and when I found one that showed bad I snipped it out and tested isolated. Back then radio shack was barely hanging on and I went to the closest one - 37 cents and a little soldering and problem solved.

I think that machine had 5 solenoids on the valve body. It was a ZF i think. My 120 is a clark. I have a chart that shows which solenoids should be energized in which gear. It might get you there faster if you had that chart. Unless you find a failed component like a diode, you might just be guessing at what is going on without the chart. That 140 years ago was rode hard for years to come - they retired it because the main bucket pins were about to wear through the arms. No telling how many loads of sand it dug out of a private pit. The trans never wore out.

My phone is sketchy where I live so calling is ok, texting is more reliable and then I can come get close to my booster and call back. I live outside Hamilton tx in Pottsville.

Not knowing your skill level ... let me know if you need specifics on diodes

BTW I know my 120 has a similar set up with diodes but I have not had to dive into it. Best I remember, the 140 showed them on a page with a diagram but not on the main schematic - they were related to the kick down and reverser buttons on the joystick - I have learned that most people don't know what those function are either. They work perfect on my 120 and the owner never knew how to use them.

I will be on hear a while longer tonight

BigDutchman

I will go to the shop and check the diodes Tomorow , when i bought the loader the buttons on loader joystick didnt work, and the torque lock buttom, and the kick down button, the local shop rebuilt the wireing harness last week already, they used to be a fiat dealer in the 80s 90s , will have to check the coil as well by the solenoids. this 140.2 got a clark transmission , bought it with 4000 hrs , came from bonham county , gave $6500 for it , dam good machine , using it on my dairy for loads of work. has 5700 hours now, everything tight, always greased and air filter cleaned every fuel up... but will keep you posted on progress, and if we get passed the testing scenario .. thanks

03hdrk

Funny that your a dairyman. I work on generators and manlifts for a few dairys around here. The manilfts are usually Thomson Dairy Services in Dublin. Looking at your ID is why I asked where you were. Actually I have a customer that is a "Big Dutchman" that does not pay well enough for me to continue to work for. We are not crossways, but he knows that when I have to come to the house to get my check after 2 weeks of no answer phone calls, things are not well. When I asked where you were the other day, I was worried you might be him. He has at least 1 old fiat and he loves them. Sounds like you got a good machine.

The company where I bought my solenoid could probably get you the chart I was talking about.

If you are familiar with Thomson - he has sent me to a few generator jobs, but as myself not as a sub. One of them was in Canton over a year ago - I think he is installing a carousel for that dairy right now.

Let me know...

BigDutchman

Yes i know that guy in canton, they finished the carousel , nice people , just took on alot of debt....
I like to collect of big dozers that are abandoned , and other old equipment, fiat and allis are my number ones ... I know thompson dairy service, talked to the older service tech few times, but they are far away from me. Have you met Mickhael Parker ? he subs for thompson from time to time. also there are few shady dutch farmers that way and to stephenville , i dont associate with them . But the guy thats hard to pay you , also he being a cheap ass lol , like to know his name so i can rag on him next time i see him

03hdrk

Not a chance on giving his name. Around here the Dutch seem to have all married other Dutch and the next gerations have grown. I can't keep track of who is married to whom. I like the guy to talk to. Just don't like the business practices. I grew up in Glen Rose and worked in the welding trade around stephenville during school. Almost all dairy related - in a shop and some portable - not structures. I learned a lot about the industry and swore I would never be in it. Now I am about 50 percent. But I am lazy and tired and refuse to be pushed to work all night. So I can't be in it anymore than I am right now. The generators are always neglected. Everyone was on a push after the big freeze. Then they went right back to their old ways. The Generators sit, never started and never even looked at. They seemed to all have gone and bought oversized gensets used. They cannot even be loaded if the whole dairy was running on them in the heat of summer. I can't help but stay out of it sometimes, they don't like what I have to say. Then I try to train them on fuel management which is something I have a lot of experience in. Only one of my customers has done anything about that. Last year we had a freeze that got some of them, but not enough to change. I will get off my soap box.

We do have a robot dairy outside of Stephenville that Thomson put in. They test ran it on the generator and found that it would not work. Called the guy (not me ) that helped them with the install - he could not figure it out. Then they got the power company to bring an oscilloscope to watch it run. But he called me to come observe to see if I saw anything. I am not that good in my opinion, but I am always amazed at what others don't know. I watched as the other guy adjusted the voltage with a dial on the old unit, while we waited on the power company to show. The voltage "wiggled" as he adjusted- I saw it, but he thought it was just a lag. Not in my experience - he got a new potentiometer (voltage adjustment dial) problem solved. That diary cannot afford problems - and by the way, that is the wierdest bunch of cows I have ever seen. They all act like they are stoned and happy.

About your loader - what would have caused switches to go bad and a wiring harness? Any thoughts?
Those shifters are hard to find in my experience. That is why I want my kick down and reverser buttons to work. I rarely use my shifter. I leave it in F2 and use the buttons. Takes a while to get used to, but that is how they were designed to be used.

I was at a rock quarry a year ago. The guy loading me was have trouble with his shifter because it was wore out - it was an Hitachi but newer than my fiat. I asked if he knew the buttons function. I had to show him. He was grinning from ear to ear. If he had known them before, his shifter would not be wore out.

I will try to keep my phone handy tomorrow. Today I was too greasy to handle it everytime it made a sound.