• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Clark Michigan brake valve Clark 45B

Clark Michigan brake valve Clark 45B: How to find the correct part number for a Clark 45B loader

• How to find the correct part number for a Clark 45B loader

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Clark Michigan brake valve Clark 45B: information sources

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Clark Michigan brake valve Clark 45B: How to find the correct part number for a Clark 45B loader?
Not having access to a Clark 45B can't say much. Any chance you could post a picture or two showing the valve?

Question one is does this machine have air brakes? If so possibly any truck parts house would have an air brake valve that would work.

Any chance it looks like this below the floor:

brake valve.png

That's your basic Bendix E-3 air brake valve. They can be had for less than $40 rebuilt.

Dave Lamb

Yes, these Clark 45B brakes are air-actuated. I have the SS# but haven't been able to use that to find the year. SS #4189D160JAC . My manuals list all parts except the brake valve number.

These Clark valves are all, I believe, Bendix E-Series valves with eight total ports. The range seems to be about E-2, E-3 and E-6. Your E-3 is very close but has two different port sizes.

One variable may be port thread size. My 45FB seems to have all the same size ports. I brought home an E-6 but this E-6 has 6 bolt connections. Some E-6 valve models only have three. My current valves have, at most, three bolt holes. Mine looks like they might only use two bolts.

The pedal plate has five bolts spaced in a vee at two inches on center. I haven't removed my valves yet because they may now be working. Air Pressure loss seems to tie into to the past loss of brake pressure at times. I'm looking for leak. The compressor and parking brake both seem strong.

kshansen

Occupation
Like I said if they are Bendix E series valves I would expect any good truck parts place to have at least one sitting on the shelf. But then with all the new stuff on trucks these days maybe to good old stand-bye valves are a thing of the past.

At the quarry I always had at least one on the shelf as they would work on 95% of the equipment that had air brakes. Be it a Mack truck or a Cat front end loader. And I even stocked a kit for them as sometimes it was easier to leave all the fittings in the valve and swap in some new bits. That way you knew the fittings were pointing the right direction!

Reactions: DB2

Dave Lamb

Clark Michigan brake valve Clark 45B: Parts Book #(3109?) brake valve image: MY current brake valves are either Bendix E-3 or E-2 brake valves

I need to know what is the difference between those two. I would like to know how the mounting bolt patterns differ.

I see that the valve and pedal image I have may show a smaller port on the lower set of threaded ports. The descriptions do not list the port sizes. I may be able to tell by looking under the floorplate.

I see one other difference. Bendix E-6 seem to have an elevated top spring and an extension on the bottom as well. The current units have a recessed bottom held in by a snap ring.

One of mine leaks out of this bottom rubber face.

There may I can try to take an image in that tight space.

kshansen

Occupation

Attachments

• E-2 E-3.pdf
    297.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Dave Lamb

Yes, The Bendix E-2 and E-3 brake valve attachment is very thorough. Conventional wisdom is that rebuilding the old original valve would be chancy. Access in place for the steps there seems tough as well.

The removal of valve or pedal is also challenging in a tight Clark 45B cab.with a worn pedal assembly. I might have to remove the steering wheel and maybe the seat. Line connections, especially reconnecting them, might require some creativity.

But, knowledge is power. Thanks.

(The only time I got very far into New York was for the Woodstock Music Festival.)

Dave Lamb

Not having access to a Clark 45B can't say much. Any chance you could post a picture or two showing the valve?

Question one is does this machine have air brakes? If so possibly any truck parts house would have an air brake valve that would work.

Any chance it looks like this below the floor:

View attachment 221314

That's your basic Bendix E-3 air brake valve. They can be had for less than $40 rebuilt.

Dave Lamb

Many thanks Mr. Hansen. Your Bendix E-3 brake valve information let us replace the E-3 and repair our 45B loader.
The pressure rose to 120psi so fast I shut down! I need to understand the pressure relief system and valve. The guage stops at 150psi.
I don't want to blow out all that difficult research and repair work. I can check my manuals and part book.
They are not too informative. I am very grateful for this forum. Thanks

kshansen

Occupation
Many thanks Mr. Hansen. Your Bendix E-3 brake valve information let us replace the E-3 and repair our 45B loader.
The pressure rose to 120psi so fast I shut down! I need to understand the pressure relief system and valve. The guage stops at 150psi.
I don't want to blow out all that difficult research and repair work. I can check my manuals and part book.
They are not too informative. I am very grateful for this forum. Thanks

What engine and air compressor does this loader have? Or maybe post picture or two of the engine so I or others could see what it has in it.

Just to save a little time does it have some thing that looks like this on or near the engine or compressor?

D2 governor.jpg
That is a basic air governor, so a picture of that and air lines connected to it would help!