• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Clark forklift question

daniel790d

Hi there, I have a C500 YS-80 Clark forklift where I want to change transmission fluid. I've never changed it and I was wondering what type of oil to put in and how much it holds. Thanks

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
The type of transmission your C500 YS-80 has, governs what oil is used, and the quantity required. There are both automatic and manual types of transmissions fitted to this model.

wlhequipment

Occupation
Mechanic
Should be a powershift. It’s technically an automatic that has 1 forward and 1 reverse gear. Do you have a clutch pedal?

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
The C500 YS-80 had the option of the Hydratork automatic transmission or a manual countershaft transmission with a foot clutch, as in typical automotive design.

The transmission, being a sliding gear countershaft transmission should take a gear oil, typically 85-90 wt gear oil. I can't lay my hand on the C500 YS-80 specs right at present, but I did find the operator manual for free from the clarkmhc.com site. Unfortunately, this operator manual does not appear to contain compartment quantity/refill figures.

https://www.clarkmhc.com/OM/OI-328/OI-328.pdf

There are numerous "archived spec sheets" and earlier model information available for free download from the site below, under the "company" menu. But I didn't find the C500 YS-80 listed.

https://www.clarkmhc.com/

It appears you might have to purchase the C500 YS-80 repair manual to acquire the information you seek as regards type of oil and quantity. The cheapest C500 YS-80 repair manual I could find was an electronic version for $49.95 from the site listed below. I have no idea of the reproduction quality of the manuals from this site, I have never used their services.
Be careful of the reproduction quality of any printed reproduction manuals being offered, there are some pretty poor copies on offer.

https://automotive-manual.com/clark-c500ys80-forklift-service-manual/

It's unfortunate that Clark, such a great company in its original form, has undergone about 30 corporate takeovers, mergers and other reshuffles, so that its amazing that Clark still even exist today in any form.
However, their lines of early equipment are the stuff of legend and the C500 range must rate as the peak of American forklift engineering, for durability, quality and repairability.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
You said it had a manual transmission. A manual transmission has a clutch pedal. Now you say it doesn't have a clutch pedal.

So, if your C500 YS-80 doesn't have a clutch pedal, then it has a Hydratork powershift transmission, which is not a full automatic, unlike an auto.
It should have 2 column-mounted levers, one is Forward-Reverse lever, the other is a Hi and Lo Speed lever. You manually select the desired direction and speed selection, and you can do this without any need for a foot-operated clutch. Clark advise to not change speeds or direction whilst moving.

There are two brake-type pedals, the left one is the inching pedal, and the right one is the service brake pedal. Depressing the left inching pedal approximately 1-1/2 inches reduces oil pressure to the transmission clutch packs, effectively disengaging the transmission so you can rev the engine for faster hydraulic speeds. Pressing down further on the inching pedal applies the brakes. The right pedal actuates the brakes only.

The Hydratork transmission uses Dexron Automatic transmission fluid. Clark originally specified Type A, Suffix A type transmission fluid, but this oil specification became obsolete in 1967, and was replaced by Dexron.
The transmission oil level should be checked with warm oil and the engine running.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
I took down a bookmark a few years ago for all the Clark manuals, but when I clicked on it a few days ago, it said "404 - site not found". It seems to me Clark have either taken down a lot of their manuals or else they've moved them to some other website location.
Wlhequipment, do you have a link for all the manuals? I could only find a small number of vintage Clark product operator manuals.
The Clark information online used to be great, you could input the Model No. and Serial No. of your forklift and they would produce the build sheet and original purchaser of your forklift, no matter how old!

BillG

Oz, Clark closed down that site a few years ago. It wasn't supposed to have public access, it took them awhile to figure it out.

wlhequipment

Occupation
Mechanic
https://www.clarkmhc.com/OperatorManual

It's not terribly clear. Just search the page for C 500, and it shows up down toward the last 1/4 of the page. Manual number OI-328. That's just for the Ops manual. For this particular instance, I believe the YS80 and the and the y110 have the same trans, so keep searching for the next C500, find the book for the y110, which is more of a maintenance manual, OM591.