• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Choosing a farm dozer

slabguy

I have recently purchased some property that I plan to build on within the next year or two. I’ve been reading for a month or so on what dozer would best fit my needs and I can’t seem to decide. Here’s what I plan to do with it: grade a 1700’ driveway through a current ag field, make a pad for house and shop, clear some smaller pines and saplings for a portion of the back yard, clean up and re grade some washed out areas and trails, and clear/maintain about 2.5 miles of logging trails that haven’t been used in about 3 years. I was leaning towards an older jd 350 or similar at first but now I’m thinking that may be too small and am looking more for a 450, 650, or D5. What size range would you guys recommend for these tasks? Do I need a 6 way blade or will a straight blade suffice? There are considerably more machines in my price range with straight blades but I’m sure a 6 way would be handy. I probably will only put about 500-700 hours on it the first couple years then maybe a couple hundred a year after that so I’m not looking for anything fancy or wanting to spend a fortune. I have run plenty of newer machines for work but have never owned a dozer. I appreciate any advice you can give.

pdbigsky

I have recently purchased some property that I plan to build on within the next year or two. I’ve been reading for a month or so on what dozer would best fit my needs and I can’t seem to decide. Here’s what I plan to do with it: grade a 1700’ driveway through a current ag field, make a pad for house and shop, clear some smaller pines and saplings for a portion of the back yard, clean up and re grade some washed out areas and trails, and clear/maintain about 2.5 miles of logging trails that haven’t been used in about 3 years. I was leaning towards an older jd 350 or similar at first but now I’m thinking that may be too small and am looking more for a 450, 650, or D5. What size range would you guys recommend for these tasks? Do I need a 6 way blade or will a straight blade suffice? There are considerably more machines in my price range with straight blades but I’m sure a 6 way would be handy. I probably will only put about 500-700 hours on it the first couple years then maybe a couple hundred a year after that so I’m not looking for anything fancy or wanting to spend a fortune. I have run plenty of newer machines for work but have never owned a dozer. I appreciate any advice you can give.

slabguy

I moved a Case 450 tracked/loader here from Il. OK for a start, then went to Dresser TD 7G (17,ooo#) with 6 way blade. You don't want a straight blade in dozer below 30K.

Thanks for the input. What’s the reasoning for not wanting straight blade in dozer below 30k? Not questioning your reasoning I just don’t follow

td25c

New property in the country ? Road to grade , knock down some trees & hog out a spot for some buildings .

I would recommend a Ford 545 Dozer . Allot of people did not realize Ford built a dozer . LOL ;)

4 wheel drive with heavy loader up front and 3 point hitch & PTO in the rear for attachments . Bush hog, box blade , post hole auger …….

100_3373-jpg.138938
Can't think of any task it wont do …

Will flat make a monkey out of a small dozer or CTL on cost maintaining rural ground :)

https://www.tractorhouse.com/listings/farm-equipment/for-sale/81389321/2001-ford-545d

slabguy

Not a bad idea. I have a jd 2155 with ample attachments for the 3 pt. but may not be a bad idea. I just figured it wouldn’t do the job on cutting a road in or grading. Maybe I’m wrong. My soil is fairly sandy.

td25c

Ford 545 don't ask questions .

It just performs .

Like " get out of the way " . LOL ! :D

chroniekon

I think td25c has the right idea. I had the same question a few years back, and many of the same tasks on my list as yours. I ended up with a backhoe. The plan was to sell it when I had finished the list. It's so handy to have around, I would't think of getting rid of it. The only thing I'd do different would be to get one with 4WD and maybe a 4-in-1 bucket.

Welder Dave

A skid steer is another good option if you already have a tractor with a 3 pt. hitch. Could do the heavier digging and is easier to see the grade as you are going. Could use 3 pt. hitch implements for maintaining the driveway and/or in conjunction with the skid steer. A wheeled skid steer would have the lowest maintainence costs compared to a tracked dozer or tracked skid steer.

slabguy

Can you sufficiently grade with a backhoe or skid steer on undisturbed soil? Seems like it would be pretty choppy. I don’t really have any experience with it.

slabguy

One thing I forgot to mention is I have access to a mini ex and tractor with front end loader from a buddy down the street if that changes anything.

Welder Dave

A skid steer is ideal for grading as you can see what the bucket edge is doing. It is hard to do fine grading with a front end loader/backhoe. Depending on the machine you can get it somewhat close but not as precise as with a skid steer.

Shimmy1

Here’s what I plan to do with it: grade a 1700’ driveway through a current ag field, make a pad for house and shop, clear some smaller pines and saplings for a portion of the back yard, clean up and re grade some washed out areas and trails, and clear/maintain about 2.5 miles of logging trails
I think this job is a little above a backhoe, skidder, or even a good MFWD tractor's pay grade, JMHO.

Bls repair

Occupation
Equipment operator,mechanic
How big are the trees you plan on popping out ? I would use a straight blade for medium size trees 6-12 inch,using the corners of the blade to push with.

farmerlund

Occupation
Farmer/ excavator
650H or J. I had a 650H for years, great machine good size for doing a lot of jobs you describe. I would try to find one with a ripper, makes moving hard soil a lot easier plus the extra weight is a little help. Mine was a XLT witch is a long track not a LGP. I think you only need LGP if you are in really soft conditions. After I sold the 650H I got a 700J with ripper. I really like the 700.

slabguy

650H or J. I had a 650H for years, great machine good size for doing a lot of jobs you describe. I would try to find one with a ripper, makes moving hard soil a lot easier plus the extra weight is a little help. Mine was a XLT witch is a long track not a LGP. I think you only need LGP if you are in really soft conditions. After I sold the 650H I got a 700J with ripper. I really like the 700.

After a quick glance I think the h & j are going to be out of my price range. I’m hoping to spend $20k or less

John Canfield

Occupation
Ranching
You want something about 20,000 pounds. My Komatsu D39P was 19k pounds - a good size for a ranch. Large enough to push over trees and a 6 way blade for grading. I bought it at auction for about $20k with 1800 hours. Good machine.