• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Chip trucks/trailers etc.

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
I thought I better start this new tread as chip trucks is part of the logging industy. So post pictures of chip trucks, trailers and other related equipment. I hope someone will post pictures from the 50's and 60's. Here are a few pics I've taken in BC, Canada - more will come.

Attachments

• Diverse05 397s.jpg
    Diverse05 397s.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 1,969
  • Diverse05 398s.jpg
    Diverse05 398s.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 1,766
  • Diverse05 399s.jpg
    Diverse05 399s.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 1,770
  • Diverse05 311s.jpg
    Diverse05 311s.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 1,822
  • Diverse05 315s.jpg
    Diverse05 315s.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 1,786

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
More pics

Attachments

• Canada28072005 122s.jpg
    Canada28072005 122s.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 1,700
  • Canada28072005 123s.jpg
    Canada28072005 123s.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 1,681
  • Canada28072005 124s.jpg
    Canada28072005 124s.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 1,683
  • Canada28072005 126s.jpg
    Canada28072005 126s.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 1,672
  • Canada28072005 133s.jpg
    Canada28072005 133s.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 1,667

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
A few more

Attachments

• Diverse05 400s.jpg
    Diverse05 400s.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 1,643
  • Diverse05 401s.jpg
    Diverse05 401s.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 1,644

Chopper95

What exactly are wood chips used for? :confused:

Obviously they're used in landscaping, as well as fueling fires for whatever the case may be, but what other values are there?

It seems like a fairly large part of the forestry industry.

Paystar

Occupation
Retired trucking owner/operator
My old 2002 9900i with five axle Titan walking floor with steering lift axles.2002 9900-2 (Small).JPGIMG_0168.jpgscan0001 (Small).jpg

Blk prince

Occupation
Truck driver semi retired
I pulled chip train on Van. Island. We also run 3axle live floors. No one has 4 or 5 axles except a few mainland flat decks and they can only run 3 axles on highway.That is why I ask about running to the US.

Poohbear55

Higher gross weights in Ont. 8 axle "B" train over here is good for 63500 kgs. A few border states allow higher weight limits per axle for guys that run across the border.;)

72hayes

Occupation
road builder
there is an old saying amongst truck drivers "when you drive a cabover you are always the first on scene of an accident".

ap40rocktruck

Occupation
Owner / Master Model Maker
Yair . . .

Why did they go out and why are they not liked?

Cheers.

Frickin hot as hell in the summer & frozen toes & feet all winter. F model Mack COE w/ blankets & cardboard taped & tied to the front panel to sort of stay warm......not to mention neck jarring ride from sitting on the front axle.

Ap40

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . They are very common here . . . maybe something to do with our length regulations. I don't intend to Hi-jack the original posters thread but it would be interesting if any Aussie truckers on here could comment.

Incidentally I believe once you get below what I think is known as "class 8" there are very few bonneted trucks available in Australia . . . apart from the odd F Series . . . I mean proper trucks, not pick ups, say F350 up.

Cheers.

Blk prince

Occupation
Truck driver semi retired
A short note,I had to bobtail from Duncan to Port Hardy in a International cab over with rubber blok suspension.About 450 miles and on old island highway. Brought a trailer back for Hearsey transport.would never do it again.

Poohbear55

They're still very popular worldwide. In North America I think its due to many factors. Longer length limits, better ride comfort, (although in the '80s and early '90s, I drove a couple of really long wheelbase cabovers that rode pretty good):D safety. Much better, and safer, entry and exit.:rolleyes: No crawling over the doghouse to get in the bunk:D.To name a few.

boardbysled

Here is some 'related' chipping equipment; an in-the-woods chipping side in Idaho. We have a chipping/chunking side going that I will try to get some pictures of this week.

MyPics_005.jpg
MyPics_006.jpg
MyPics_007.jpg
MyPics_008.jpg

Randy88

There was never much junk left in the cab most got tired of cleaning it off the inside of the windshield every time they tilted the cab, I'll agree with the stomp your body to death from the ride and also freezing to death in the winter, I only ever drove a few short distances, between falling out of the cab to climb down and jarring the teeth out of my head when bobtailing empty, and trying to figure out how to "aim" them down the road, I was never impressed with any cab over I drove. All the clutch and gear shift linkage was something to get used to as well, never seemed right that you were about five feet ahead of the clutch and transmission either. Then to add insult to injury, everyone I ever drove, always had some hangup with the tilt feature, they'd go up, but never back down straight it seemed and latched properly again.

There used to be a cattle buyer in my area when I was a kid that had one, he'd hire me to help load and unload cattle for him, the cab was so rusty when I'd climb into the passenger seat, I stepped on top of the steer tire, to climb in, then slide the sheet of plywood over the tire to cover the hole in the floor boards and use my feet to hold it in place as we drove down the road, if you didn't the front tire would throw dirt up your pant legs inside the cab and I'd have to retie the twine that held the passenger door shut every time it was opened. He'd also hire someone else to help too, that person would sit in the middle and put his foot on the gear shift lever to help force it into gear as he shifted it in the forward gears in the shift pattern, when he'd need to shift it towards the back of the shift pattern, it would take the driver and middle person to pull the lever into gear that direction. He drove it like that for years, towards the end of the trucks life, he had number nine wire to hold the cab down in back otherwise when he'd stop, the cab would literally tilt ahead some when we were inside, as they say, it takes all kinds to make the world go around, never missed that part time job once he quit for good, it was educational to say the least. Toss on top of that, the cattle in the back rocking and walking around and the load shifting all the time, it was usually a white knuckle ride every time we'd climb in and take off. That experience made me a firm believer in livestock goose neck trailers pulled with pickups and conventional cab semi trucks.

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . in fairness to original poster (i.e. chip truck/trailer thread) I started a "Australian spec. COE Kenworth" thread and it would be good if the some of the COE comments were directed there.

As mentioned, most trucks in Australia are COE (apart from Class 8) and a significant proportion of those are COE as well.

I didn't realise they were so disliked in other parts and, if you have some opinions it could make for an interesting thread.

Cheers.