• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

China Caterpillar Factory (SEM)

JGS Parts

Occupation
Owner JGS Machinery
Hi guys this is the chinese caterpillar factory and also the CAT bucket factory. a lot of SEM machines in south africa and else where they will not sell them in NA beacuse cat dose not want the competion on there own machines the new SEM C series you can get will a full cat layout with cat axels , transmission , engine everything a 980 size machine fully running cat gear is 118,000USD so you tell me cats not making good money on there 980's back home ;)

P.S sorry guys CAT would not let me take photo inside the factory area. SAM_5074.jpgSAM_5075.jpgSAM_5076.jpgSAM_5077.jpgSAM_5078.jpg

JGS Parts

Occupation
Owner JGS Machinery
http://www.semmachinery.cn/en-us/

here read about them guys. i was going to be the agent for australia for SEM but caterpillar head office told me if i was to do this that they would stop business after first load was imported into australia CAT always playing nice lol

axelfue

I can't find a wheelloader 980-size on the website. Do they have more machines than they offer there?

Anyone has any practical experiences with the machines?

JGS Parts

Occupation
Owner JGS Machinery
G'day axelfue mate i dont think they will sell them to you in Germany i think CAT has control of that area. they are very popular in south africa and else where.

axelfue

Thanks for the answer. I dont ask for Germany, we have a lot of machines running in Africa, too. So that might be interesting for us.

EURO CAT

SEM have many distributors throughout Africa, as JGS said they are the value brand belonging to Caterpillar, and use increasing amounts of Cat components and more importantly Caterpillar systems and quality processes through out their factory. The machines are not CE certified so can not be used in the EU.

http://www.semmachinery.cn/en-us/Dealers/DistributionNetwork.jsp

Thanks for the answer. I dont ask for Germany, we have a lot of machines running in Africa, too. So that might be interesting for us.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Wow, to be a factory, they sure are cheap, a mud road to drive brand new machines to lot, seriously? And looks like they need to turn a billy goat loose in the weeds. Just sayin.

JGS Parts

Occupation
Owner JGS Machinery
Wow, to be a factory, they sure are cheap, a mud road to drive brand new machines to lot, seriously? And looks like they need to turn a billy goat loose in the weeds. Just sayin.

actually mate the concrete yard was all ready full they had about 3000 machines made there this was out side the gates as i was leaving the factory.

DirtHauler

Occupation
Heavy Highway Dirt Hauler
"SHANDONG ENGINEERING MACHINERY CO. LTD (SEM) products meet or exceed regional industry requirements for quality and reliability that target customers who emphasize on initial acquisition cost over long-term total cost of ownership. SEM has developed a dedicated lean distribution channel in China and in selected markets around the world and SEM products have been sold to more than 80 countries."

Don't be mistaken, these are not the same CAT machines or the same quality of the CAT machines you see wearing the CAT logo. Its a brand that focuses on building cheaper machines with a higher cost of ownership. A much different mission statement than that of CAT machines.

http://www.caterpillar.com/brands/sem

I have no first hand experience with SEM, this is just what I am reading.

Last edited:

JGS Parts

Occupation
Owner JGS Machinery
G'day Dirt mate you will never see a SEM machine in the US or anywhere in NA or the Euro Zone when you go to SEM they have a world map and it has Red areas on the map it shows where they can and can not be sold. actually there is a lot of in house fighting with SEM in china and SEM in america because the issue SEM and CAT is having is SEM produce 2 types of machines a very cheap local version to be sold in china with all chinese running gear and then they make the better one running all the CAT gear and the local dealers in china have been selling them to export companys who are selling them to the rest of the world running the chinese parts.

crete

mate if you are serious about it let me know i will see what i can do for you. PM me

These graders aren't for sale/distribution into Canada, as they do not meet current Tier emissions requirements. In addition, you will not have the support from your local Cat dealer, so don't be mistaken. Quality/reliability levels and life expectancy are inferior to that of the current Cat graders sold in N.A. This grader is designed for LRC (Lesser Regulated Countries) with regional requirements/expectations different from those in N.A.

Just want you to know.

joispoi

Whether these machines enter North America and Europe or not, they will have an effect on used equipment prices. Africa, South America and Asia have buyers that buy used machines globally. If they can buy a new machine with CAT components at the same price as a used brand name machine, it will effect export sales and local used market prices.

It will come down to cost of buying vs. cost of ownership. I was at the Komatsu dealership 2 weeks ago and there was a WA380 in the shop. They were almost a full day into tearing it down to get the transmission out - a $9/hr driver rammed it too hard into a stock pile one too many times. They were just hoisting the engine out when I was there. The shop foreman told me that they'd have it back to work in 3 days. Downtime can quickly add to the cost of a machine.

JGS Parts

Occupation
Owner JGS Machinery
So how did the Sem loaders that are in Australia, get to Australia if they are not allowed to be sold here?

??? who said they are not allowed to be sold in australia? and heaps of the machines are sold in the local market in china and shipped out with out cat knowing but they dont run the same running gear. where in aus did you see a SEM?

Plant Fitter

??? who said they are not allowed to be sold in australia?

Actually I thought that you did?

Here is one mention:
when you go to SEM they have a world map and it has Red areas on the map it shows where they can and can not be sold.
When you look at the map, Australia is just like Europe and North America, the areas where they can not be sold.

Here is another mention:
http://www.semmachinery.cn/en-us/

i was going to be the agent for australia for SEM but caterpillar head office told me if i was to do this that they would stop business after first load was imported into australia