• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

chevron rykon premium mv - equivalent?

skata

i have a genie lift that calls for chevron rykon premium mv hydraulic fluid. it seems to be a multiviscosity fluid.
where can i buy this? or is there something else similar?

skata

so i actually read the manual, and it states this:
---
"Chevron Rykon MV oil is fully compatible and
mixable with Shell Donax TG (Dexron III) oils.
Genie specifications require hydraulic oils which are
designed to give maximum protection to hydraulic
systems, have the ability to perform over a wide
temperature range, and the viscosity index should
exceed 140. They should provide excellent antiwear,
oxidation, corrosion inhibition, seal conditioning, and
foam and aeration suppression properties."
---
so could i just use standard dexron III trans fluid?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
If the manual says that the oil is 100% compatible & mixable with Donax TG (that meets Dexron III specification) then IMHO any oil meeting Dexron III should be acceptable to use in the system. The spec sheet for Donax TG stating it meets Dexron III is attached.
FYI Chevron Rykon MV has now been replaced by the Chevron Rando range of oils......

Attachments

• DONAXTG.pdf
    24.6 KB · Views: 7

skata

If the manual says that the oil is 100% compatible & mixable with Donax TG (that meets Dexron III specification) then IMHO any oil meeting Dexron III should be acceptable to use in the system. The spec sheet for Donax TG stating it meets Dexron III is attached.
FYI Chevron Rykon MV has now been replaced by the Chevron Rando range of oils......
my local farm store has Mystik Multi - Purpose Automatic Transmission Fluid available in 5gal buckets.
it states it meets dexron iii specs. i assume this would be a good choice?
https://www.farmandfleet.com/products/200458-mystik-multi-purpose-automatic-transmission-fluid.html

Attachments

• M20023.pdf
    34.1 KB · Views: 1

Engineer44

I researched the same thing a couple of years ago. My Genie (2002) originally came with Dexron but there was a Genie bulletin in the early 2000’s saying they were shipping new lifts with Chevron Rykon oil. I couldn’t find the Rykon locally and I wanted to use a multi viscosity hydraulic oil to refill the system after I refurbished the lift. I used Mobil DTE 10 Excel 32, 5 gallon bucket, Graingers.

skata

I researched the same thing a couple of years ago. My Genie (2002) originally came with Dexron but there was a Genie bulletin in the early 2000’s saying they were shipping new lifts with Chevron Rykon oil. I couldn’t find the Rykon locally and I wanted to use a multi viscosity hydraulic oil to refill the system after I refurbished the lift. I used Mobil DTE 10 Excel 32, 5 gallon bucket, Graingers.
i was just about to buy the mystik atf at my local farm store. the viscosity specs are very close to the shell donax tg that genie recommends also. cost for a 5gal is around $60.
i looked up this mobil fluid you mentioned, and it costs over $167 at grainger. and i'd need 3 buckets. $500+ for fluid?? man, i'm not so sure about that.....

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I'll only say one thing - good quality oil & filters are the best and cheapest insurance policy you will EVER buy for a machine.
Try to cut corners and it'll often bite you in the a$$.

Right now I'm working on an oil project for a fleet of 37 trucks where a rear axle oil fill costs $1600 a time and we do it 3 times per truck per year.............and you're worried about $500 worth of oil. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

skata

I'll only say one thing - good quality oil & filters are the best and cheapest insurance policy you will EVER buy for a machine.
Try to cut corners and it'll often bite you in the a$$.

Right now I'm working on an oil project for a fleet of 37 trucks where a rear axle oil fill costs $1600 a time and we do it 3 times per truck per year.............and you're worried about $500 worth of oil. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

:D but those are probably really expensive trucks.
but to spend $500 on fluid for a $10k machine, that doesnt make sense to me. this is just a small 4wd genie scissor lift.

Engineer44

Skata, it’s possible/probable you could source that Mobil oil for less $$ somewhere else too. I just bought it at Graingers because they had it and I had an account there. I find Grainger has great service but they are often a little more expensive.

TommyJLG

Check the Viscosity Index. All store brands I checked had VI of around 50 (Napa, O'Reilly's, McCoy's, Tractor Supply, etc.). Found a 5 gallon pail of Shell Tellus for $98 with VI of 143 or so. Frustrating that Genie 1930 manual states 5.5 gallon capacity and pail is only 5 gallons. So far, I cannot find a gallon of ISO 32 with VI of 140+ to make up the diff. Will drain and measure volume. Maybe I can get away with 5 gallons.

skata

I ended up using 'valvoline dex/merc' which has a viscosity index of 174. And you can even buy it at Walmart. Been using the machine in freezing weather with no issues. It seems to perform better than the old fluid in the cold.