• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

changing wear pads in a gradall 534c-6

bigguyinS50

Howdy, im a new mechanic tasked with my first job of changing wear pads in the , I was wondering if there were any useful tips for going about this job or things to know, any help would be much appreciated. Thank you

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Welcome to the Forums bigguyinS50!:drinkup

I have a 534D-6 but have never changed the wear pads. Looking forward to info from someone who has.

Knepptune

Which wear pads are you changing. I've never put new wear pads in one but a have added shims to one. A lot of the time if the boom is real loose and floppy it just needs some shims. They are easy to change tho.

Btw do not go around changing wear pads hoping to cure the boom shaking and jumping when retracting. Most likely the cables need checked and tightened. Also on most of those machines the wear pads on the top and back of the outer section have never seen grease.

sepulchral

Which wear pads are you changing. I've never put new wear pads in one but a have added shims to one. A lot of the time if the boom is real loose and floppy it just needs some shims. They are easy to change tho.

Btw do not go around changing wear pads hoping to cure the boom shaking and jumping when retracting. Most likely the cables need checked and tightened. Also on most of those machines the wear pads on the top and back of the outer section have never seen grease.

Knepptune, my 524-3S gradall is boom shaking and "hammering" on when retracting form full boom at a 45 degree angle or more. Think i need to just check the cables?

Knepptune

If the boom is greased properly that's where I'd start. Run the boom all the way out and check the tension on the retract cable. It should be tight. On the bottom of the main boom section you'll see the adjustment for the retract cable.