• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Changing hydraulic fluid ?

casey518

The last time my machine looked to have water in the hydraulic fluid it seemed to emulsify in the oil. In the past I could suck the oil out and over time it would separate so I could pump the clear oil off the top. Last time I let some sit for months and it never separated. I suppose the oil could have improved additives that caused it but I have always used the Premium Travelers from Tractor Supply.

I have never done a complete change. I just change the tank and filter and settle for the oil looking mostly clear. Since I got a barn to park it in it has remained clear. We haven't had the shift form hot to cold and cold to hot since the last change so time will tell.
There Are Hydraulic fluids that are made to cary water and hold it in suspension and there are others that do not mix with water and the water will separate fairly fast. I once kept a jar of emulsified watery oil for over a year and it never separated. That was the oil that is made to carry water. Iv been using normal mineral hydraulic oil in my jcb. My Massey tractor has the other type in it. It turned coffee color with water recently and I boiled some of it out in a stock pot.20210224_195742.jpgBefore and after pic