• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Champion Trans Fluid Spec. 720a Series 4

Silveroddo

I'm looking to change the transmission oil in my '96 Series 4 720a. Spec is Engine oil API CD/CE qualified for C-3 & TO-2 spec and either 0w-30, 10w, or 30w depending on temp ranges. I've been running a 10w motor oil, but its oddball and hard to find, and the stuff I can source locally doesn't have enough information to determine if its C-3 or TO-2 rated (C-4 and TO-4)
Would a Cat TDTO 10w or Mobile Mobiltrans HD 10w transmission oil be a better option? Its after hours and I'm trying to come up with a game plan for Monday. I'm assuming I can get the Cat TDTO fairly easily, the Mobiltrans I'd have to order in. I'm cross eyed from googling and reading fluid specs for the last hour. My gut says either or those fluids would be fine, but paranoia has set in and there's just a lack of info out there for these machines.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Mobiltrans HD10W would work fine as a replacement for a TO-2/C-3 specification oil which is one of the alternatives you mention. It actually meets TO-4 and Allison C-4 specs. Conoco Powerdrive HD10W would also work.

If your Cat dealer is doing any discounted offers on oil then Cat TDTO 10W would also work but at full whack you will likely find it a bit pricey.

If you wanted to get real flash for a much wider range of ambient temperatures with a multigrade oil there is Cat TDTO-TMS out there. It's a synthetic TDTO. https://www.petersoncat.com/sites/cat/files/downloads/Cat TDTO-TMS.pdf