• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

champion,jd,or.....

simonkenya

I have looking to buy a grader but am spoilt for chioce am looking to buy a durable machine that will not let me down,a machine that can work long hours,was thinking of cat but they are abit to expensive,bhp 150 to 190 any ideas.......thanks:confused:

Delmer

If there's a specific model you're thinking of then somebody else may be able to give you better advice.

Are you looking for used or new? In either case, all I can say is get what you can get parts and support for, whether you're doing the work yourself and waiting on parts in the mail, or taking it to a dealer if that's an option.

There was a thread here on the advantages of ag tractors with pull graders for African conditions. Pretty persuasive argument in favor of that approach, but the economics, parts/service availability, etc may have changed.

simonkenya

Am looking to buy a used grader was thinking of champion it fits my budget,but not sure if champion parts are compatible with other machines.
Cat has dealerships all over the continent,but again their is the cost element,Volvo and JD also have dealerships.

I have read from here and other sites that the trans on most champions i.e 720 to be specific is pretty sturdy not sure about other makes was looking to buy anything between
1990 to 1999 models,no idea either on cummins engine......

Silveroddo

I've got 2 older Champions, Ones a roughly 1980 720 straight frame and the others a 715a. I like them but I've found when trying to go to Volvo for parts that dealer parts availabilty isnt very good and it seems to be 2x as expensive as CAT for basic components. When you start breaking it down, the transmissions are gearco and clark, the rear ends are eaton (Prodominently I believe) and the engines were mainly cummins in the years your talking about. If you break it down that way and source parts that way it doesnt seem to be as bad. Between those avenues, parts stores and online I believe a guy can keep these things going but going to Volvo doesnt seem to be the answer if you can avoid it. I think they used Cummins 8.3 and 5.9 liter motors which are common as heck in the U.S. and reliable.
So with the right mindset and providing the machine is in reasonable condition to begin with they can be a solid option.

durtmvr

Occupation
Currently Finish Blade Operator, Previously Genera
Its not a Cat, but for the money I almost contemplated buying a Champion. I had one leased for a bit. I don't remember what model size it was but it was comparable to a 140. It had a Cummins engine. It had a very ergonomic shifter. It was sturdy, it seemed heavy and stable to the ground. It had very good reaction in the cylinders. The circle had the teeth on the outside powered by hydraulic cylinders. It would circle through anything. I hated the way you tightened the circle and board though and I would give myself a headache every time I got out of the seat though. Visibility wasn't the greatest either, but I never had a problem finding parts. The steering seemed clunky to me. For all of it's shortcomings, for the money it would have been my choice.

Second choice would probably be a Deere. I don't like how they stand on the ground, they feel light to me and tend to break traction easily. The hydraulics are good, the cabs are comfortable. The visibility is good. The parts are readily available and Deere is proud of them just like CAT. Pretty good machine.

I realized though that contractors will not take you seriously (owner operator) if you come rolling up on their job with anything other than a CAT and asking a CAT price so I steered clear of everything except a CAT.

simonkenya

@silveroddo thanks for the feedback....so what do you use ur machine mainly for?and what would it roughly cost me if i had a trans or engine breakdown?
I am looking to put the machine i get to be mostly doing grading and maybe the occasional landscaping here and there any tips....

@durtmvr..thanks for the feedback...have the same problem here if its not a CAT, you tend to be seen as a joker but if it works and doesnt let you down then your good to go,..any suggestions on the deere model and i was looking at the 720A is that what you used?

Silveroddo

The 720 maintains about 60 miles of forestry roads, probably grade and maintain 200 lane miles a year with it, which is why I can get by with it, I'm only puting 50-60 hrs on it at a stretch, maybe 200-250 hrs a year. I havnt tried sourcing parts for the transmissions yet but I'm planning to figure that part of it out when I have some time just so I know. The motors are common as heck in the US and depending on which one it is ( the 720a should be an 8.3 cummins) I've found used motors in the 3-4k range, I'd assume a 10k hr life span out of a properly maintained motor, possibly longer. Not sure about the tandems, knock on wood I've tried keeping fluid clean in them and havnt had any issues. The brakes seem to be an issue in sourcing parts for at the momment. I had gotten a pair of wheel cylinders
for mine last year and at $250 apiece was told there were three left in existance. I bought 2 of them and vowed to source them elsewhere but havnt been able to yet. probably should of bought the 3rd one and put it on the shelf.
The 720a was a really common machine, I've tried buying them 3 different times at auction but I refuse to pay a JD price for them, because honestly they will do the job just fine, but at the end of the day the resale value is going to be lower than a JD.
What is a 720a going for over there?

simonkenya

@silveroddo....most machines ive spotted are going for between 30-50k dollars not sure but the hours but i guess the ones going for less have had rebuilds and will probably give me a run for my money,am planning to put mine on between 40-50hrs per week for a couple of months i hope the 720A will not let me down.

The cummins engine is a good bet ive seen them on a couple of machines komatsu and some chinese models,the trans on the other hand am still looking,so i think ill take a keen
look at the machines advertised any good machines you spot let me know am sourcing from the us and canada...