• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Champion D680 with seized engine

HSV127

I'm looking at buying an old Champion D680 it has a 671 Detroit engine that I'd say has water in the cylinders from sitting for about a year with no cap on the exhaust, dude wants $2,000.

Was wondering whats involved in pulling the injectors to try releasing said water and see if it will turn over.

cat d9

Occupation
manager and general FO in general
I would try turning it a little bit before removing the injectors, if it doesn't turn at least a little you may want to run not walk away from the deal. The 6-71 is a good engine but if it has gotten water in it to seize it up you will spend a fair peice of dought in New Zealand getting it going again. Use a socket on the crank pulley or the cam or balance shaft in front, don't use the starter you could bend a rod if it turns and then hydro locks.

HSV127

Had a crack at un-seizing the old D680 today, turned out there wasn't much water in the cylinders and it was just a bit stuck, after freeing it up and turning it over by hand then spinning it over with the starter for a bit to get the oil around the engine, it fired right up, well worth the $2000 felt a bit bad driving it out past the dudes house, haha

DSC05636.jpgDSC05641.jpgDSC05639.jpgDSC05640.jpgDSC05645.jpg

wwd10

Hey HSV127. See you are NZ based, we are looking for an old grader to maintain our cattle races in South Taranaki. Not interested in selling this one are you!?? Or know of anything else around?
Cheers Will

HSV127

Hi wwd10, welcome to the forum, sorry I'd say it's too late for you now you're addicted! haha.

Thats exactly what I'm going to be using this one for, and I have a lot of work for it so sorry it's not for sale at this point.

How much were you wanting to spend on one? I see a couple of cheapish ones on TradeMe, one is down Wanganui way.

Cheers Robert

Last edited:

wwd10

Yea, that's why I signed up. Figured I needed to ask the experts what to be looking for when I check out a few on trademe. Let me know if yours is ever available again!
Will

MalcolmG

Occupation
Mechanic
Nice work getting the old Jimmy fired up! I've seen them stick all the injectors down after sitting a few years. Engine turns spins over fine, just no fire. :)

HSV127

Dramas!

Engine in the old girl is feeling a bit off colour. Gonna have to crack it open, hopefully I can get away with just replacing the one piston and liner and new rings all round.

DSC06003.jpgDSC05997.jpgDSC06000.jpgDSC05995.jpg

stinkycat

Occupation
retired, disabled vet
HSV127
You will have done all the hard work if the crank is good rekit the whole engine. Pulling the head and the oil pan are the same amount of work for 1 hole as it is for 6 holes

HSV127

Finally got some time to get back to work on this engine, just ordered a complete set of pistons and liners plus one conrod that was a bit damaged and all gaskets needed. All up it cost $3500 NZD.

Also sent injectors to be tested to make sure they're all good.

Big end bearings don't need replacing as they are like new, same could have been said for the pistons and liners if they hadn't been water damaged!

HSV127

Couple more progress pics

Started stripping and cleaning up the head, took the injectors in to the local diesel shop to get tested and serviced.

DSC06415.jpgDSC06413.jpg

HSV127

What were they using to fill the rad? Swampwater. LOL Great old machines. Best to navigate your turns in reverse. They like to go straight.

Was wondering why I couldn't get the water to come clean after multiple flushes of the cooling system. Doesn't help that the front tyres are basically bald as well!