• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Champion 720a transmission issue

truecountry

Occupation
Shop Manager and Tech
Vin x027972x 720avhp
transmission code 4.2 neutral switch
now its electronic shifter so im thinking neutral switch is built in computer board ? its 8 pin pull a-h
anyone have a clue where to start volvo has been 3 days waiting to get back to me on troubleshooting..lol

DB2

There is a microswitch on the controller that can give problems. Try manipulating it manually. Use proper safety procedures.
On review that may be applicable to an older machine with twin shift levers. My apologies.

truecountry

Occupation
Shop Manager and Tech
There is a microswitch on the controller that can give problems. Try manipulating it manually. Use proper safety procedures.
On review that may be applicable to an older machine with twin shift levers. My apologies.
this is single shifter but a button in front that could be micro switch but i dont see wires coming from it

truecountry

Occupation
Shop Manager and Tech
also it will not crank over ..neutral transmission code is locking it out from cranking i guess

DB2

No I’m afraid I was thinking of an older unit.
Remove the shifter and check the wiring. The later ones (Volvo) have wires bent at tight angles.

Fatgraderman

Occupation
Crash test dummy
Vin x027972x 720avhp
transmission code 4.2 neutral switch
now its electronic shifter so im thinking neutral switch is built in computer board ? its 8 pin pull a-h
anyone have a clue where to start volvo has been 3 days waiting to get back to me on troubleshooting..lol
Is that serial # a series 5?

truecountry

Occupation
Shop Manager and Tech
Tuesday morning i went in early and started looking around transmission of grader while no one was there ..i like alone time with equipment
checking all wiring and connectors and found transmission fluid sight glass and it was dry ..3 quarts of oil and trans code has now left so im guessing its a safety for transmission code ..low in oil and no movement on transmission ..still no start so on to now on to 2nd problem
i start looking at fuses, relays and wiring
i had no current to a 50 amp relay 2 bigger red wires and 2 small plug in wires i traced to starter one big wire ..key switch one smaller wire
i jumped the relay and she started right up and went into gear ..damnnnnnnnnnnnnn
opening the relay up contacts are burnt bad so new one coming
Thanks guys for trying to help

truecountry

Occupation
Shop Manager and Tech
ok guys i finally got to get back to work on champion motorgrader and this is the main part of shifter problem its the shifter computer board champion 1.jpg champion 2.jpg

JL Sargent

Clean that rubbed out place real good with acetone and inspect for any electrical traces that might have been cut. Looking at your picture, I don't see any. If you find damage, it might be repairable.