• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

John580K

I'm looking at purchasing an old champion 720 Grader. I'm trying to get as much info as i can about this machine since i was told the grader will not go in forward or reverse. I'm told the grader is a 1988 but in the research i've done, I don't think so. I think its a Series I machine so late 70's or early 80's with Allis Chalmers 3500 Engine & unkown transmission??? Possible Gearco 9150 or Clark 28000??? Can anyone Decode the Serial No. for me?? 720-056-101-1918-2. Anybody have a service manual?? Any info is much appreciated. Thanks!!

John580K

So now I'm really confused about this Alleged 1988 720 grader. This has the control pedestal of an 84-88 ish but definately does not have the Gearco 8400 8 speed transmission. this has 3 shift levers, F-N-R / 1,2,3/ H-L and doesn't have a clutch pedal. this machine was also built in the South Carolina. Any info would be great.

thanks.

Silveroddo

What's the cab look like? Slant forward windshield or straight up and down?. Somewhere in the late 80's I think that gearco became the prevalent option. That being said, I'd check the fluid level and make sure its just not low on fluid. there are some level plugs on the side of the transmission (passenger side low on the "drop case") you check it running. Also make sure the shift linkages didn't become unhooked. I've got a pair of these and they aren't bad transmissions, but everything wears out eventually and I don't know where to begin to source a replacement
I don't know what your intended purpose is for this machine, but as a guy that owns several of them, the Allis motor isn't as desirable as the Cummins option, and if there is something severely wrong with that transmission the only possible way it would be worth the cost to repair is if you're getting it free or getting paid to take it away, and its still probably more of a head ache than its worth unless you have a line on another transmission.

John580K

Silverado. Thanks for the input. My intended use is to grade my 3/4 mile long shared driveway and potentially sell it......once I get it fixed ( its in desperate need and I can't seem to get neighbors to chip in) I like to tinker with things and am a bit of a gear head. I can potentially get it for less than scrap prices worst case. I appreciate any info again.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220611-221556_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20220611-221556_eBay.jpg
    542.3 KB · Views: 24

biggrader

Occupation
Owner/Operator
my manual is an older copy so I cant pinpoint your exact configuration. Im not sure what you have checked but could it be as simple as a broken shifter cable. If I remember the cable should be mounted to the control valve on the passenger side of the transmission about midpoint of transmission. Does the dash have transmission pressure guages and are they in the operating range when running? Again this would be on a Gearco 9150 transmision

Attachments

• Document_2022-06-12_203153.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 8

Welder Dave

It certainly looks like a series II cab with the single glass on the side behind the doors. Wonder if US production went longer than Canadian with different engine options? From what I can gather series II started sometime in mid 1984 and went till 1988 and Cummins was chosen as the sole engine provider and the only tranny option was the Gearco 8400. Would be really strange if it was a custom build for a customer.

Silveroddo

My guess is it falls in that 84-86 range (Early series 2), In the states I believe the series 2 ran until about '92, 1993 got the series 3 and the sheet metal upgrade. Like Dave says, I think they became pretty standardized by 87-88, I've never seen anything newer than that with the weird drive train combos.

Reactions: DB2

biggrader

Occupation
Owner/Operator
CHAMPION – SERIES I
In 1975 Champion's 700 Series I was launched. A new generation of grader technology with design improvements in every component.

Champion now offered a wide range of models in a choice of articulated or conventional frame. Models included: 710, 715, 715A, 720, 720A, 740, 740A and 760.

Purchasers were offered the choice of different powertrain choices which became a systems nightmare regarding parts, service etc.

• Maintained focus on ability to cut and push
• Extensive design improvements
CHAMPION – SERIES II
In 1984 Champion's 700 Series II was launched.
Cummins was chosen as the sole provider of engines to Champion motor graders.
The 8400 powershift transmission was introduced, other powertrain options used on Series I machines were eliminated.
The 730 and 730A Models were introduced.
CHAMPION – SERIES III
In 1989 the production of Champion's 700 Series III started.

Duramide bearings were developed for Champion and introduced on the circle and moldboard slide.
The rear cowl was sloped downward from the rear of the cab to improve visibility to the rear of the grader.

The Company continued to remain focused primarily on the governmental sector.

• Easy access cowling
• Efficient circle turn system
• Simplified and more efficient hydraulics
• Improved rear visibility

Credit for the info belongs to Volvo CE website

I have one with the last 5 digits being 1273-2. Supposed to be a 1981 FWIW