• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Challengers & Scrapers

jms1387

Im new to this web site and i was hoping to find some solid information on the production ratings of cat challengers and scrapers!? I know there are a lot of variables but if you would please enlighten me on your past or present knowledge of these combo's. Thank You

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
Can't give you any production ratings or data. However if you are thinking of using them I caution you to the application. Top soil, clay they are okay. Don't put them in the rock or you will tear the tracks of of them in no time flat.

Grademan

We run the International 460 with 1 scraper. We mainly strip Topsoil with them. We have done 2000Cy in 10hr day per unit. They can fly and work in wet conditions over the scrapers. Tracks are very expensive, keep them out of sharp/abrasive stuff. Remember if the topsoil is wet when you strip, you need the tractors back to replace, the scrapres will NOT get on the pile to replace.

jms1387

GRADEMAN- international 460? isnt that i rubber tired machine? we are looking at an mt865 and pull a 463 cat scraper.

Grademan

I mistyped. We run 480 quad case international with 17 cy Ashland pull scraper

Kman9090

I've run the 450 Quads, John Deere 9630's, 9630T's (rubber tracks), the MT865, and MT875. For price per unit you cannot beat the setup. Given we pull 17-21 yard pans behind them and no less then 2 pans but mostly 3 pans. With 18 yard pans we average them at 33yards pulling triples. We use them for top soil and clay haul. We have any rock we stick 631's in it. 631's will beat them on a production day but overall job cost when you get it completed the Farm tractor will have moved it cheaper, but not faster. As for example right now we have 7 Deere 9630's with 2 pulling triples and 5 pulling doubles on an average 3000 foot haul and we move about 8000 yards a day.

SE-Ia Cowman

I would caution you about pulling a 463 or for that fact any dolly wheeled scraper behind a challanger. I dont think you will have enugh weight to fill a 463. Last fall we rented a 535 quad and pulled our 15 yd dolly It worked fine but there were times that traction was a little bit of a problem a 463 is a 25 to 28 yd and will take a lot mor traction to fill. I my area a 863 is usualy pulled by a 8r or I see a lot of old 9g's pulling them and they are going to out weigh a 865 by at least 20000 lbs if not more assumeing a heavy 865 will weigh 55000 and a 8r will weigh around 80000 lbs. I think a 17yd direct mount would a lot better match for a 865 or even a couple direct mount 17's in a train would be a good combo if you have the room. We were talking to cat salseman the other day about 865's and pans he said they were great but dont expect the tranny to last more than 5000 hrs hooked to a pan.

Kman9090

Yeah that is very true with the tractors I see used they don't last much past 5000 hours then repairs get to be frequent and costly. Most company's just trade them and get new ones with warrantys. McAninch tried the MT865 and a 631 pan and it didn't work well. Like stated they dont have the weight to get the traction to pull that big a pan. I would really look into pulling 2 John Deere Eject pans. I really like the 1810E, The 2112's just seem a bit much but work well in some circumstances.

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Pics found on one of the other forums..Cat getting into the rubber track Artic truck based concept?
Credit to original poster.

Attachments

• MT450-1 (Small).JPG
    MT450-1 (Small).JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 6,242
  • MT450-2 (Small).JPG
    MT450-2 (Small).JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 4,653
Last edited:

Turbo21835

Pics found on one of the other forums..Cat getting into the rubber track Artic truck based concept?
Credit to original poster.

No, those tracks on the rig are an aftermarket set up. Cant remember the name of the company, but that is not original cat.

vapor300

And pulling 1 20 yard pan, not very cost efficent, if its not compatiable to pull at least a 2nd pan i dont see it becoming very popular.

Gavin84w

And pulling 1 20 yard pan, not very cost efficent, if its not compatiable to pull at least a 2nd pan i dont see it becoming very popular.

I think you will find it has more to do with the cost of floorspace at Conexpo than if it will be pulling multiple pans ultimately as to why it was exhibited with just 1 pan, my understanding is this is another creation of CJ Moyna who was the one that developed the ejector truck set up and went on to create Eject systems that Cat later purchased, i would assume this is another venture legally outside what ever he sold to Cat.

vapor300

Check out the video i posted of it, it is only hooked to 1 pan and they say nothing about hooking doubles or triples, plus the control for the pan is a joystick control, so they would have to do something different for more pans, i dont know if you have ever ran a tractor and pans but they have 4 different controls for 2 pans, and 6 if you are pulling 3, and i really dont see how you would do that with a joystick control because you could only use one pan at a time, and sometimes you have got to be able to work all of them at the same time

Gavin84w

I have not seen the video but it makes a whole lot more sense if you can have 1 larger scraper than say 3, much more simplified controls, less parts wearing and tearing but the biggest bonus would be a dedicated dirt machine pulling the pan (with the modified 740) as opposed to an agricultural tractor, mind you just get a proper scraper and be done with it i say.

rare ss

I have not seen the video but it makes a whole lot more sense if you can have 1 larger scraper than say 3, much more simplified controls, less parts wearing and tearing but the biggest bonus would be a dedicated dirt machine pulling the pan (with the modified 740) as opposed to an agricultural tractor, mind you just get a proper scraper and be done with it i say.

I'd have to agree, you'd have to think the price of the whole unit would almost buy a new scraper

Kman9090

The reason why you pull multiple scrapers is because AG tractors dont have the power or traction to load one big Scraper. I also doubt a 740 will be able to as well. That is the reason why they set it up that way. Biggest problem I would see with a 740 is they are not built to load scrapers, they are built to be top loaded so I wonder what the drivetrain life is on them. Its a real good idea but really not practical for most situations.

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
We ran a 33yd Ktec pan on our 480 cases and could boil dirt out of the bowl all day. In wet or soft ground it was hard to get a very full load though.