• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Chain size. Am I being silly?

emmett518

Is 1/4 inch, class 70 chain strong enough for lifting things with my backhoe?
I bought some 3/8 chain, but it's a bit heavy for most things. Is 1/4 inch enough, or should I return it for 5/16?

I lift things like my snowplow and mount plate, pulling T posts, and putting in 30 foot telephone poles. The 1/4 inch chain is rated for 3400 pounds, so is that the limit?

Thanks

Welder Dave

I like 5/16" but if it's something heavy I'm not sure of the weight I use 3/8". 1/4" would be good if you were picking up an extra bucket or something that weighed maybe 2000lbs. at the most. I'd error on having a heavier chain. I found 1/4" G70 safe working load around 3100lbs.

bobatack

just for giggles sake
I was on a jobsite numerous years ago that we had a triaxle with pony loaded with A gravel
Apparently the driver got off the beaten path to far and sunk the tri up to the axles.
all we had was a Grade 70 5/16 chain.
200 size excavator and we triple wrapped that chain and dragged that loaded truck and pony thru the mud
;):rolleyes:

Camshawn

What does your backhoe lift?
I use 1/4 high grade chain on my farm tractor and only broke the chain on a sharp corner (my fault). My tractor only lifts around a thousand pounds so I am well within the load limit for my chain. I’ve had it for years and twisted of the load rating tag a long time ago.

Tyler d4c

My personal favorite for these lifting troubles is old 9/32? Chain hoist chain kinda hard to find hooks bit most times I've found the chain for free

Delmer

It's enough if you know the weight of what you're lifting, or lifting t posts the failure is not a problem. Lifting 30' poles would get dicey if you hook it in such a way that tilting the bucket puts stress on the chain, straight lift is no problem. 3,000 pounds is the working load limit, breaking strength is much higher. Handiest thing is to cut a 20' down to 12 and 8' and put a slip hook on one end of each.