• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Chain box removal 763..

MrKomatsu

HAS ANYONE CHANGED OUT THE ENTIRE CHAIN BOX?
I HAVE A SEVERELY DAMAGED UNIT...AXLE TUBES VERY BAD SHAPE.
COST OF CHAIN BOX WITH AXLE TUBES IS CHEAPER THAN THE $$$$ TO REPAIR...:usa

Bobcatdan

Yeah I have done it once. Paper mill sheared an axle right off. Lifted the upper structure off with the hoist. Onec the upper body is off, removed the engine/ hydro combo. The lower frame is bear, no drivetrain at all, has to be swapped over. What is your dammage? I have seen machine shop fix axle ends where the bearings went out. I would think about this first, we are talking thousands of dollars for the bottom frame for a machine worth about $10,000

crewchief888

$3600 for a bare chaincase isnt bad.....

add in new bearings, seals
axle shaft, or hub damage
chains, sprockets?
motor mounts ?
while the engine/ pumps are out..
belts, hoses, leaks ?

last one i did took me approx 30 hours

we have a couple customers that have replaced multiple chaincases, mainly due to their application, and abusive operators.

i made up a stand that bolts to the front upper frame to hold the machine up off the floor, pull the eng/pumps, steering console, and drop the chaincase with a pallet jack.

:drinkup