• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Certified Labs

Matt_H

Who has heard of these guys(http://northamerica.certifiedlabs.com/)? and who has used there products? I have been comparing their PREMALUBE #2 grease which is an aluminum complex grease, and Texas Refinery grease(TRC) and can't decieded on either of these on which one to stick with. Both are good greases but just looking for some input on what you experts think.

blitz138

What are you using it for?

From what I've seen of TRC its a lot of talk, a lot of $$, mediocre product

Matt_H

Skidsteer, excavators, and would like to use it on my dumps as well. I have been using the TRC on excavators as I didn't want to use the Permalube stuff on the excavators until I knew for sure I wanted to switch and run the aluminum complex grease on everything and its pricey @ $10.90 a tube and TRC @ $5.34 a tube. I find both greases are good both have good wash out properties. What is everybodies thoughts on these greases? what would you use?

blitz138

Are you talking about the TRC 880? It has substandard EP ratings. You should be able to find a better grease than the permalube for 11 bucks a tube. Do you have any other choices? I am a fan of the aluminum complex grease but that seems like a lot of $$

Matt_H

I probally could find a better grease. But I know almost nothing about grease and oil(having good results with the oil I'm using just not grease)I have had problems in the past grease related have had to replace some parts I believe earlier then I needed to. I grabbed a couple tubes think 5 or so greases that seem to be the most popular in the area and did my own tests. which resulted in my finding these two greases to be my favorites. both seem to stay put fairly good and didn't washout as quickly as the others. What about moly? I run volvo excavators and see volvo sells a 3% and 5% moly grease is there grease any good. I have had way to many sleepless nights on the grease topic and have read alot on here on the topic just don't know.

blitz138

If I remember right Shell makes Volvo EP grease. When comparing greases pull the PDS (product data sheet) for each one, use google if you need to. This is for grease only...... For EP (Extreme Pressure) you need to look at ASTM 2596 4-ball Load & Wear ratings tests, for a grease to be labeled as EP it needs to have a minimum 250 kg weld rating. The higher the weld and wear ratings the better the grease. There is also the 4 ball wear ASTM 2266, same testing apparatus as the 4 ball, this one measures the scar in the bearing, you want this to be small.

There are other tests to look at, the water washout/sprayout. There are a few different kinds of tests, make sure your looking at the same test results. Different companies will post timken test results in grease, this is very usefull as well. You need to look at the all round testing, IF they do not list the 4 ball results its because they dont want to advertise their results, same with water washout, or anything else.

Moly is a great additive, but cant turn crap into gold by putting 5% into it. I would definitely look for moly/graphite in your grease but you need to look at the rest of the grease also.

Heres the PDS for the greases you listed

http://www.texasrefinery.com/images/lb-880crown&chassis.pdf

http://www.certifiedlabs.com/certified/vContent/4/documents/general/India_--_Premalube_1_2_RED.pdf

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
As usual the devil's in the detail. I looked at that flyer and as a grease spec it told me nothing whatsoever. That is until I looked down the list of specifications that it "meets", and right in the middle of the list - Cat MPGM. That's a spec for a general run-of-the-mill multipurpose grease with a weld point around 265-300kg that I might consider using on my pickup truck. I certainly wouldn't use it on anything critical on a piece of earthmoving equipment.

peterminsal

Banned
see page two

As usual the devil's in the detail. I looked at that flyer and as a grease spec it told me nothing whatsoever. That is until I looked down the list of specifications that it "meets", and right in the middle of the list - Cat MPGM. That's a spec for a general run-of-the-mill multipurpose grease with a weld point around 265-300kg that I might consider using on my pickup truck. I certainly wouldn't use it on anything critical on a piece of earthmoving equipment.

Please show me what you would recommend over calcium sofonate moly grease....caterpillar recommends it....and premalube extreme out specs there's...what other info would you like, I can provide it.

Nige

My apologies. Hadn't read Page 2 (didn't even see it) .........:eek::eek:

I do have a few questions though. Looking at the physical properties the 4-ball weld point is listed as, and I quote, "1000+". I assume that is pounds..? If so how much over 1000 pounds is the actual number..? 1000 pounds = 453kg so I assume the weld point must be higher than that as it's listed as 1000+.

Do you have details of MoS2 percentage (3%, 5%, etc) and also MoS2 particle size ..?

To me a high performance grease should meet Caterpillar CPG spec (not MPGM) which calls for minimum 5% MoS2 by weight with the MoS2 median particle size of 3 microns. Also the 4-ball weld point should be a minimum of 620kg (1370 pounds) and in practice have a 4-ball somewhere in the region of 800kg (1765 pounds).

Matt_H

I actually bought a case and tried it out. I will not be purchasing anymore. Pounds out fairly easy, and penetration definitly lacks.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
A month has passed and no reply. Hmmmmmmmm ..............

Well, I wouldn't expect one now, since the member in question returned this evening to post his link in a new thread in five different forums. The very epitome of a spammer. :rolleyes:

JoeTheLubePro

Hey guys I am a rep for Certified Labs the company that makes Premalube Grease among many other products. There are a few companies out there making very good products and we happen to be one of them.

We don't do any marketing, so unless you've met a rep you may not have heard of us. We research, develop, and manufacture all of our products in the USA. We sell over a billion dollars a year of products, so there are a lot of people using them.

I wanted to respond to this thread because it went unresolved for whatever reason.

@Nige
Both Premalube and Premalube extreme contain 3% Pharmaceutical grade Moly >3 microns

You are wrong to assume the ASTM data is reported in lbs as the spec is always reported in kgs so yes 800+kgs for premalube and 1000+ kgs for premalube extreme.

Premalube has a Aluminum Complex thickener and Xtreme has a Calcium Sulfonate based thickener. Our grease is competative with the best in the world. That being said everyone has their favorites, but, if you want high quality then you owe it to yourself to have a rep by to demo our products. If nothing else you will be impressed and have a healthy respect for our company and it's products.

Thanks

Nige

Thanks for the clarification about the 4-ball figures. I know that the test calls for them to be reported in kg but nowhere on the data sheet did it indicate that the numbers were in fact in kg. To me they seemed extremely high for a 3% moly grease if they were actually in kg but thanks again for the clarification.

The moly specs confirm why you list it as meeting Cat MPGM spec. To meet CPG it would need to be minimum 5% moly.

blitz138

You are wrong to assume the ASTM data is reported in lbs as the spec is always reported in kgs so yes 800+kgs for premalube and 1000+ kgs for premalube extreme.

Thanks

Im pretty sure the parameters of the ASTM 2596 weld test has a maximum 800 kgf loading without seizure.

JoeTheLubePro

Thanks for the clarification about the 4-ball figures. I know that the test calls for them to be reported in kg but nowhere on the data sheet did it indicate that the numbers were in fact in kg. To me they seemed extremely high for a 3% moly grease if they were actually in kg but thanks again for the clarification.

The moly specs confirm why you list it as meeting Cat MPGM spec. To meet CPG it would need to be minimum 5% moly.

Moly is a great additive but it isn't the only thing that matters and neither is whether we meet one of CAT's invented specs or not. Cat likes to sell private label grease, everyone knows that. 3% Moly or 5% Moly really doesn't matter when there are so many other factors in play. Cat thinks 5% is the magic number and other very reputable companies don't. The fact is we've done extensive research into making great lubricants and we think our formulas are the best (but we do change as research develops so if tomorrow we have 5% then touche)

If you compare ASTM specs (which have some flaws but at least are an agreed upon standard) we are up there with the best. If you ask people in the business that have used our products most will agree they are of very high quality. So to say because it doesnt have 5% Moly, its not fit for a pick-up truck is a little... let's just say misleading.

And I am aware the weld test typically goes to 800kg. We had Premalube Xtreme tested to 1000kg for marketing purposes to differentiate it from Premalube.

I don't mean to have a sales rep spec-off but the title of the thread is "Certified Labs" so I just want to keep the record straight.

Thanks