• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ceadarapids Cat to Detroit Engine swap

ror76a

I have a Ceadarapids 111 Pitmaster that has a tired D318 Cat power unit on it, and I want to repace it with a 471 detriot. The machine has a large flat belt and all mechanical drive. The main issue that I can see is the Cat is +-60 hp and is governed (according to the tag) at 1600 rpm, the detriot is from a Koehring 466 excavator, and probaly has more power and turns faster. I think that it could be governed to run slower, but not sure on this. Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated. On second thought, maybe this should be in "old Iron"

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
With the same injectors as automotive, the 4-71 should be 159 HP. (That is at 2100 RPM or so) I am pretty sure the speed can be changed via the governor settings on top. It seems like you have the right idea here.

If you contact user "gone fishen" over at the diesel stop website, he will know the answer to this question.

Esfoder

Occupation
Ready-Mix concrete /Sand and gravel producer
Can you change thr pulley size so the detroit can run in the "sweet spot"? Lugging a detroit is bad news.

Dusty

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Can you change thr pulley size so the detroit can run in the "sweet spot"? Lugging a detroit is bad news.

124 HP at 1600 RPM according to one chart, with a demand of maybe 60 HP at max, would hardly be lugging it....

If anything I would be looking for a larger pulley and run it at 1200 RPM to burn less fuel. The 4-71 is way more engine than a D318.

Last edited:

ror76a

Upon further investigation, (when all else fails, read the book, right) according to the book they also offered GM 3031C (3-71) and 4031C (4-71) power units as options to power the plant, they also list the rpms for those at 1200 rpm with an 8" pulley. They list the D318 that I have as running 1250 rpm with a 7 11/16" pulley. So it sounds like I should be alright running a 4-71 at 1200 rpm, just have to find an 8" pulley. I was concerned that 1200 would be too slow to run a 4-71, but like Birken said, it's not like I will be lugging it. The next issue will be re setting the govoner to only run up to 1200. Thanks for the advice guys.

Esfoder

Occupation
Ready-Mix concrete /Sand and gravel producer
124 HP at 1600 RPM according to one chart, with a demand of maybe 60 HP at max, would hardly be lugging it....

If anything I would be looking for a larger pulley and run it at 1200 RPM to burn less fuel. The 4-71 is way more engine than a D318.

Yeah the chart says it must be true. My personal experiance is anything under 1800 is lugging a detroit. Hope it works out.

Dusty