• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

cattle driving info please

The Farmboy

Occupation
high school and farming love farming with my dad
is this a fun job in trucking and yes i know its dirty by the way im a farmer ... whats the best truck trailer combinatons any body with pics

Dualie

its a very region specific question. gotta look what works in your area. Also cattle hauling is a very close knit community its not something you just break into without knowing the game

Deerehauler

I wouldn't want any part of hauling cattle.

The stereotypical view of bullracks in our area is that only one of them know where he is supposed to go. They load 6 or 7 pots (doubledeck trailers) and load the smart one last. Then they drive 90 mph one right behind the other as long as it takes to get where they are going, sometimes 800+ miles in one shot. I have seen some of them run oncoming traffic off the road when passing slower moving traffic in their lane.

Granted there are bad examples in every field and there are safe, professional cattle haulers. Even the guys that operate good equipment and do so safely all have stories from the 'old days' when they were running 20+ hours per day for several weeks.

As Dualie stated, to 'break in' you need to either run with somebody (letting them broker the loads, you are just helping them) or work for a cattle hauling company. You have to establish yourself as reliable and dependable, and have good equipment that is not broke down all the time. The guy that wants his cattle hauled 800 miles in one day does not care how you do it, he just wants it done. If you won't do it, there are 10 other guys who will or will die trying.

rigandig

I hauled livestock for a year back in the early 70's. Mostly Hogs, from points south and west to philly. Not to justify anybodies driving habits, but the reasoning behind moving along after you're loaded is that the buyers pay on the weight they receive at the slaughter houses, not the weight they were bought at. So, any peein or poopin that is done enroute, is at the haulers expense. I know, strange logic, but that was why I was told to hurry to Iowa, and when I left there loaded, don't stop for anything but fuel and coffee till ya get to Philly.

One good aspect is , ya can clear out the counter at the truckstop cafe real quick.

rigandig

Crayton, Your Grandson isn't the fella I heard about that got pulled over for exceeding the speed limit is he? Seems a highway patrol had chased a speeding Bull Hauler down. He asked the driver what his hurry was. The driver told him, "Officer, ya see that top front Rack of Bulls? When they put their goggles on and start leanin forward, I gotta go". LOL Just wondering.

LonestarCobra

I prefer a 48' X 102" Wilson Silver Star trailer. I have pulled the 96" and didnt like it as well. I pull ours with a 1985 Pete 275" wheelbase, 425 Cat and 6+4 trannys and 4.10 to 1 diffs. It was one of our haul trucks and we pulled the winch off and put on a flat top sleeper. Someday we are going to put 3.70 gears in. The Wilson trailers are better than the rest IMO for more than one reason. We dont haul for the public, but i can tell you that when we hire other trucks, the lead trucker picks his own group of drivers. When the truck we used to pull the pot with broke down we parked it, and started using the haul truck for a while before we converted it over to a "proper bull hauling Rig" with a flat top sleeper and a turbo fin on top. I got some harrassment pulling that trailer with a winch truck.

Will Musser

Occupation
Heavyhauler/ Truckbuilder
I'd use nothing but a pete with air leaf, low air leaf or air trac rear suspension to pull a bull wagon. (I know from experience.) These suspensions are the most stable on the road. and I would only pull a air ride trailer. I say this because they are MUCH more stable than spring, flex-air or a 8 bag suspension. I'd stick to a Wilson Silver Star or a Eby Bull Ride trailer. Also, get the top rear tail light kit as well. All 11R24.5 rubber, and No caps, and as much HP and gears as possible. Get atleast a 50x102 trailer and DON'T LOAD THE DAMNED JAIL. WELD IT SHUT!!!!!! That will keep your greasy side on the ground. I've never driven a truck with too much HP, and Mine is makin over 650 to the ground. You need atleast 475 if your gonna run an electronic type engine, which I would. By the way, the 100 mph storys you hear about bullwagons might be true accept they were empty when they did it. Those trailers pull like a sled. Finally Pull it like your pulling anunbaffeled tank trailer.

The Farmboy

Occupation
high school and farming love farming with my dad
I love these comments i mean i dont have my cdl yet but i dream of having (inheriting which i will) our farm so im used to drivin all the equipment and used to walkin and wadin in the muck cows produce so keep the replies comin