• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat's new 345D

CEwriter

Occupation
journalist
Shattering the rythm of product introductions timed to emissions deadlines, Cat introduced its 345D with electronic/hydraulic regen system saving enough fuel to compensate for big increase in horsepower. Went from 345 to 380 horsepower here in the states, and 325 to 380 hp in Europe. Product guy claims no fuel-consumption increase, due largely to the regen system.

100,000-pound machine
digs a 25-foot deep, flat-floor trench
heavy-duty boom is standard equipment now
lots of interesting undercarriage options

For North American Release: March 2008
Release Number: 61PR08
New Caterpillar® 345D L Hydraulic Excavator Delivers
More Power, Excellent Fuel Economy and Longer Life

Caterpillar introduces the 345D L hydraulic excavator, a direct replacement for the
345C L. The new model builds on the strengths of its predecessor, while incorporating new designs that enhance performance and durability.

Engine horsepower has been increased by 10 percent, yet the 345D L uses about the same amount of fuel in tough digging, high duty cycle applications. To conserve fuel during light-duty work, the hydraulic and engine control system has been redesigned to include a new power management feature. The operator now has the flexibility to select from alternative engine and hydraulic power settings without sacrificing breakout force or lift capacity. The alternative power options are accessible through the new D-Series monitor in the cab.

The new excavator also has undercarriage improvements, a heavier counterweight for greater stability and lifting performance, a standard heated seat and other new features to make the Cat® 345D L a valuable tool for high-production excavating, loading and underground utilities work.

More power for tougher jobs
The 345D L is equipped with a 380-horsepower (283-kW) Cat C13 engine with ACERTTM Technology. The engine delivers 10 percent more power than the previous model, meets EPA Tier 3 emissions regulations and offers outstanding performance, reliability and life.

Hydraulic flow has been increased by 2 percent. The main implement pump has been redesigned, and an electric regeneration circuit has been added to boost hydraulic efficiency and reliability.

With its higher horsepower engine and more efficient hydraulic system, the new excavator outperforms its predecessor, but it does not sacrifice fuel efficiency. In production applications, the 345D L moves more material per unit of fuel burned. In less intensive applications, alternative power options can reduce fuel consumption by as much as 10 percent while delivering productivity levels comparable to the C-Series model.

Stable, durable and transportable
The 345D L has three undercarriage arrangements to match varying application and transportation requirements: fixed gauge, variable gauge and wide variable gauge. Each option provides excellent stability and long life. Track links have been redesigned to extend service life, and a new carrier roller design improves reliability. For extreme underfoot conditions or jobs requiring significant travel, a cast idler and Positive Pin Retention 2 track are available as attachments. A standard 9.0-metric ton counterweight enhances machine stability and lifting performance.

Easy operation, convenient service
Like the model it replaces, the 345D L is designed for operators and technicians. The cab is spacious, quiet and comfortable with good ventilation, ergonomic controls and an easy-to-read monitor that displays information in 27 languages to accommodate a diverse workforce. For extra comfort and productivity, a high-back, heated, air-suspension seat is now standard. An optional rear-view camera and Work Area Vision System (WAVS) enhance visibility, productivity and job site safety.

The 345D L retains its predecessor’s serviceable design with easy-access service points and extended maintenance intervals. A new 24-volt power port in the battery compartment accommodates service lights and other electrical equipment. A new electric priming pump is located in the battery compartment, along with the secondary fuel filter which was moved to that area to improve access. Product Link, a Cat system that streamlines asset tracking and maintenance management, comes standard on the 345D L.

Work tools and attachments expand versatility
An extensive selection of work tools makes the new excavator a versatile performer in a variety of applications. An optional Tool Control System lets the operator pre-set flows and pressures for as many as 10 work tools using the in-cab monitor. Then the operator can select the tool at the touch of a button, without resetting the hydraulic system. To maximize versatility and reduce costs, C-Series buckets can be used on the D-Series model. The hydraulic Pin Grabber Coupler enables a machine operator to change work tools seconds without ever leaving the cab. The coupler also allows attaching a bucket in reverse mode for trench finishing.

Other popular options include High Intensity Discharge (HID) Lights with a time delay function; Machine Security System, which deters theft, vandalism and unauthorized usage; and a second-generation AccuGradeTM system. The new AccuGrade system helps every operator, regardless of skill level, work faster and more accurately. It features an electronic cab avoidance function that prevents damage resulting from contact between the cab, front linkage and bucket. An e-ceiling function protects the machine from interference with overhead obstacles.

For more information about the 345D L, customers should contact their local Cat dealer or visit www.cat.com.

Basic Specifications for the 345D L Excavator
Engine Cat C13
Rated power 380 hp (283 kW)
Operating weight
Fixed gauge undercarriage
Variable gauge undercarriage
100,040 lb (45 375 kg)
108,610 lb (49 265 kg)
Max flow 194 gal/min (734 l/min)
Max pressure – implements 5,080 psi (35 000 kPa)
Max pressure – heavy lift 5,511 psi (38 000)
Travel speed 2.8 mph (4.5 kph)
Max dig depth* 26 ft 11 in. (8 200 mm)
Max reach – ground level 39 ft 9 in. (12 120 mm)
Lift capacity – over front
@ 10 ft (3.0 m) @ 20 ft (6.0 m) 30,050 lb (13 930 kg)
Drawbar pull 75,920 lb (338 kN)

* 22 ft 8 in. (6.9 m) boom, 12 ft 10 in. (3.9 m) stick

Cat345DL-MovingPieceOfPipe-lowres.jpg

Cat345DL-TruckLoading-lowres.jpg

345 lr.jpg

CEwriter

Occupation
journalist
Regeneration systems store hydraulic energy in accumulators when the boom is either coming out of or going in to the trench (sorry I can't remember which), and then apply that stored energy for the opposite motion. They're becoming pretty common on large excavators.

L

joispoi

I believe Doosan already has a similar if not the same system in their machines. They also claim to have the most fuel efficient excavators. Must be catching on.

CEwriter

Occupation
journalist
Komatsu also has a hydraulic regen system, and I believe John Deere/Hitachi and Case do to (although I suggest you confirm with those two companies). May be more makers use such a system. I haven't really made a study of it.

Last edited:

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
Old Norwegian Brøyts had a system in the 70-80's where the oil from the lift sylinder where directed to the stick sylinder.:cool:
If u lower your main boom, oil goes to the stick out mowement. And only if u use both mowements at the same time.

U got a real quick stick out mowement when using this funtion. And saved fuel..:)

mxsledder

That is a awesome hoe, with as good as the 345cl has been I think the new d will easly be the cream of the crop of 100k lb excavators.

345cl

Occupation
excavator operator in the sewer bussiness
:)i will be interested to see the d series

drag1line

While Cat tries to make a big sales point of regeneration, it is NOTHING NEW. In fact most excavators in the 1970's used it. It has NOTHING to do with energy storage in accumulators such as GM and others are experimenting with in pick up trucks with Eaton. Cat did grab up some patents and called it Eco Mate, but it has yet to see production anywhere.
Regeneration is simply using a percentage of the larger volume of oil from the base end of a cylinder, particularly boom, to feed the smaller end of the rod end, instead of directly returning all of it to tank. There were circuits that fed one cylinder to the next to speed up the dump cycle in some early excavators. You can also use it as most modern excavators do to prevent caviation of cylinders by feeding rod oil to base, but there must be a cut off circuit at a given pressure or loss of force will result.
They also make a big deal of Heavy lift. In fact Cat was the LAST manufacturer to offer the increased performance of heavy lift.
Hydraulic cross sensing.... again old technology as are cylinder snubbers and swing priority circuits.

Tigerotor77W

Occupation
Engineer
Perhaps -- but as I understand it, Cat is one of the few manufacturers to offer regen in the 45-tonne class. As a result, the 345D can either outproduce the 345C or can match the 345C production levels with a decrease in fuel consumption.

It may be that the 345C was so antiquated that this increase in efficiency means little or nothing, so I'm just saying that Cat isn't saying that regen is amazing -- they're saying it's new to their 345.

drag1line

Regeneration

Cat SAYS they make a big deal of it, but the truth is that as I stated above it is a common circuit used by Most, if not ALL manufactures of excavators from at least 12 ton and up and has been for many years. More than my gray hair wants to think about.
Productivity comes from HORSEPOWER. The mathematical formula is HP= pressure X flow. Increase the input HP and the flow at a given pressure will increase, which speeds up the attachment. This is only true if the main pumps can absorb such power and maintain durability. This is a more powerful machine than the previous machine in terms of horsepower. While the previous machine had a respectable amount of specification horsepower, it was not full utilized as competitive machines with less Net HP, could out produce it. The newer version is now heavier and so can exhibit stability similar to the Kobelco SK 480 or now 485, which it could not do before. Now it is possible to more efficiently use this power in circuitry configuration, electronic pump controls, reduction of parasitic losses via larger piping.
The only draw back to any discussion on horsepower and speed, is that job efficiency must be considered. More HP means burning more fuel NO WAY AROUND that, but if the added speed is offset by getting a job done faster, then it can be justified. What must be looked at is cubic yards per unit of fuel consumption. Usually measured in yards or tons per hour and there are MANY things, such as digging conditions, number and availability of trucks, load factors, and even operators that can and do affect this calculation.
My two cents on my little soap box.

Tigerotor77W

Occupation
Engineer
What must be looked at is cubic yards per unit of fuel consumption.

Your post is entirely true, and this statement especially so. Now I'm confusing myself as to what Cat's claims were (long day and lots of hair-pulling), so I'll back out of this one for the moment... :eek:

But your last comment is also very applicable. Just because a two-hour production study says that Machine B can maintain 100 cubic yards per hour per gallon of fuel doesn't mean that in eight hours, it'll do 800 cubic yards... there are other factors as well. Cat generally does a good job of making an accurate portrayal of jobsite conditions when reporting productivity, but I haven't seen the numbers for the 345D L (or the C, for that matter), and since I don't own a 345C L to make my own comparisons, I can't say anything. :)

JCG77

How many frame hours before replacing a 345C L CAT excavator? Also, is a certified reuild recommended?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
So long as the upper & lower frames plus the boom are in good condition (the stick should be regarded as a component with a finite life) rebuilding is always a viable proposition. Total machine hours are to a certain extent immaterial so long as the major structures are good - we were rebuilding machines (not excavators though) that had more than 100,000 hours on the structures.

A Certified Rebuild is usually money well spent but a lot depends on the machine being subjected to the rebuild being in relatively-speaking good order before the start of the rebuild. However from what I know if the machine is not in a sufficiently good condition Cat (via the dealer) will refuse to do a Certified Rebuild on it.

JCG77

So long as the upper & lower frames plus the boom are in good condition (the stick should be regarded as a component with a finite life) rebuilding is always a viable proposition. Total machine hours are to a certain extent immaterial so long as the major structures are good - we were rebuilding machines (not excavators though) that had more than 100,000 hours on the structures.

A Certified Rebuild is usually money well spent but a lot depends on the machine being subjected to the rebuild being in relatively-speaking good order before the start of the rebuild. However from what I know if the machine is not in a sufficiently good condition Cat (via the dealer) will refuse to do a Certified Rebuild on it.

Thank you very much for the information and quick response.

ernest ouimet

I believe Doosan already has a similar if not the same system in their machines. They also claim to have the most fuel efficient excavators. Must be catching on.

No matter what fuel saving systems in the past, today’s newer diesel catalytic converter are helping the equipment owner to save in numerous fields. To begin with is the patented progress that reduces emissions, maintenance, increase in power and a one time cost with a 30 minute installation. Fits all fossil fuel engines most noticeable are the heavy earth movers and ship engines .