• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Caterpillar Hydraulic Hose info needed

edgephoto

I have an older new to me Cat 426 and I am trying to do some repairs and get her back in shape for some work next spring. The previous owner has all kinds of mismatched hoses and connections. Some of them are rubbing, some are not routed correctly, etc. I want to get the correct length to get her back to how is is supposed to be.

Does anyone here know where I can find or can give me the length of Caterpillar Hydraulic Hoses by part number?

If I could get the size, length and which fittings that would be incredible. I have the Caterpillar hose assembly part numbers. For example one of them is 9R2988.

I assume Cat has a manual that says "for this part number hose assembly use these ends and this length of dash whatever hose".

I know I can just buy them from Cat but I have a good friend that does hoses but he needs to know the length.

Ct Farmer

Are you talking about Cat reusable fittings or an aftermarket crimp fitting?

If you have Cat fittings with a smooth sleeve - no signs of crimp - they are reusable. Requires a special press to remove and install. Often cheaper to take old hose to Cat have them reuse fittings with new hose.

There are aftermarket Cat flanges that can be used in any crimp style machine but they are not cheap.

Also note that Cat flange fittings are not the same as standard code 61 or 62 fittings. They are thicker.

edgephoto

I am talking about what length a certain part number Cat hose assembly is. Part number is listed in the parts catalog but no sizing is mentioned. The dealer must have a book the lists a assembly number and what components are require to make that assembly.

If I order a 9R2988 hose from caterpillar I want to know how long the hose section is.

Most of the hoses on my backhoe, hoe section are aftermarket and are too long, too short, or just wrong. I am trying to straighten it out.

Welder Dave

The Cat dealer (Finning) here no longer does the reusable fittings and Cat won't sell the tooling to other hose shops. Best to go with standard crimp on fittings. Parts book you think would list length's of hoses. I need to convert a bunch of Cat reusable fittings to bulk head fittings. The reusable couplings fit in clamps but if they aren't available bulkhead is about the only option.

Welder Dave

Maybe one of the Cat experts with access to SIS can find better descriptions that list the hose length's.

Ct Farmer

I've seen assembly breakdowns for Cat hoses on here before but think it was from dealer techs who had the inside info. Don't think Cat publishes it.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
There is another way .........
For example the 9R-2988 Hose Assembly that the OP gave as an example is made up from the following:-
1 x 8T-1710 Permanent Coupling
1 x 8T-1711 Permanent Coupling
60" of 165-0018 Bulk Hose (5/8" bore XT-3). HIS would quote the cut length more accurately than that, down to the closest 0.1".
Remember that this is the length of cut hose used to make the hose assembly, NOT the finished length of the assembled hose.

Last edited:

edgephoto

@Nige Thank you. That is exactly what I am looking for. The hoses are mismatched and a mess on this machine. I want to measure some of the ones in good condition to see if they are correct length.

I have a friend who makes hoses for a living and he does them for me at cost. So I can save some coin by having him make ones I need. Matching up works, usually but some are so wrong I need a place to start. Some metal piping is missing and replaced with hose. I am finding and installing the pipes.

Thanks again!

Nige

The only thing that my resource does NOT contain (which is in HIS) is the relative angle between the end fittings of any hose that has an angled fitting at each end. So long as there is a straight fitting at one end - no problem - you don't have to worry about angle.

edgephoto

@Nige Those part numbers work out just fine. I can cross reference them to Aeroquip, Parker, Eaton or whatnot to get the angles.

Appreciate your help.

I am buying lots of stuff from the local dealer just if I can get a hose the dealer sells for $85 for less than $20 I have to do it. When you are talking 10-15 hoses the savings adds up tremendously. I am sure the dealer is not all that worried about some homeowner and his 30 year old machine. If I was making a living with my machine I would just use genuine stuff. Time is money.

Ct Farmer

I am sure the dealer is not all that worried about some homeowner and his 30 year old machine.

Not sure what dealer you are going to but HO Penn in Newington is very interested and quite helpful to small time guys. I've had them spend a ton of time looking up a $3 gasket for me with plenty of guys waiting behind me. Service dept has always been helpful in looking at my parts and giving tips and advice on what I'm working on.

They have been really good about having a service guy stop by with a special tool when it is needed and the the charge has always been very fair.

I know their prices on some things are high but I get way better service compared to Volvo and Terex and we won't even mention what the local Kubota and New holland calls service.

Sorry to run this off topic.

edgephoto

@ct-farmer I use HO Penn in Newington. They are extremely helpful and friendly. I usually look up my own parts and place an online order.

My 30 yr old machine is not their bread and butter. They do give great customer service and I have zero complaints. Not disparaging HO Penn.

If I can save a few hundred here and there I do it. I have a friend who does hoses and I can save a $1000 or so using him to make hoses. I like to think Cat's hoses are a little better but aftermarket is good enough for my needs.

Ct Farmer

I hear ya on making your own aftermarket hoses. That's why we got a used machine and make most of our own. The time savings is worth it alone.

Nige

Another comment after some off-line discussion. Just be a bit careful regarding measurements from the source where I'm getting them. They are sometimes not as accurate as those given in HIS and aren't 100% guaranteed to be correct.

Delmer

@Nige Those part numbers work out just fine. I can cross reference them to Aeroquip, Parker, Eaton or whatnot to get the angles.

NO, say you have a hose with a 90 fitting on each end, those have to be in the proper position in relation to each other, you CAN'T twist the hose. The parker catalog is not going to have the angles you need.

edgephoto

Yes the angles of the fittings. The hose I asked about above has one straight and one angled. So there is no issue with twisting. If there are two angled fittings then I would need to know the position of each. In this case I would just buy it from Cat.

I am not made of money and every bit of cost savings I can get will help me with the house I am planning on building. If I had deep pockets I would not have bought a 30yr old machine.