• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

caterpillar D6H Hydralic Cylinder

w38571

Repacking the Blade lift Cylinders on a 6 H, removed hoses drained oil & have removed the cover (Nut) that threads onto the barrel. Cannot get the rod-piston out of the barrel. Anyone know what the next step after removing the cover ?

Bob/Ont

Think you have a vacume in the cylinder. Slack a hose on the head end.
Later Bob

w38571

Think you have a vacume in the cylinder. Slack a hose on the head end.
Later Bob

Have removed all 3 hoses at top of barrel, there seems to be a steel sleeve that is the same dia. of the barrel just below the threads at the end of the barrel. Amy suggestions of a site that shows the disassembly or diagrams.

Multiracer

Occupation
Owner/ operator
I have to do mine this winter as well as the pivot points for the cylinders. So I seek some info as well.
1988 D-6H series II.

JeremiahSr

Occupation
Vice Pres./General man./Technician
The gland fits in canister tight. A sharp chisel will get it moving for you. Be carefull around threads obviously. Clean the area about 1" from start of threads....should be able to see where it will seperate.

w38571

To the OP - what's your Serial Number..? I'll post up a sectioned drawing of what the cylinder looks like.

Ron, if you e-mail me I'll give you the Parts and D&A for the cylinder on yours.

Mine is a 4RC

Multiracer

Occupation
Owner/ operator
Thanks for the quick response and the detailed info Nige. Someday I hope to repay the favor.
Ron

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Here's a diagram showing what the cylinder looks like inside. There is a Serial Number break at 4RC3999, this diagram applies to machine 4RC4000-Up. Your cylinder may differ slightly. I'd say most likely the gland is stuck fast in the end of the cylinder barrel.

D6H Lift Cylinder.jpg

JeremiahSr

Occupation
Yea.....this pic is for a gland that screws into the barrel. His sounds like a big lock/screw/cap that screws on outside of barrel and gland just slides in. They freeze up in there pretty tight sometimes. My post above should do the trick!!

Chisumtrail

Occupation
Parts changer
With the hoses hooked up and the rod off the ball, loosen the nut 3 or 4 turns then start dozer and push rod out.

JeremiahSr

Occupation
Yep....thats it!! a sharp chisel between gland and threads will knock it loose!!

Chisumtrail

Occupation
Parts changer
No it will not, look at you picture, a few turns will not hurt anything. Did not say take the nut off!

JeremiahSr

Occupation
I read his post. He already had his nut off!
Did you get it w38571 and Multiracer?