• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Caterpillar D4H low power smoking black

Phil P

Occupation
Consultant
Hi

I now have the CD containing the manual for this unit. I will label the important items so I can try operating it.

We are now putting the unit back together so I can operate it some and see just what is going on.

Phil P

Phil P

Occupation
Consultant
Hello all

It has been a while I have had a lot of equipment down for various reasons and this D4 is low priority.

However here is a video of it working some.

I am beginning to think I have an operator problem as much as a machine problem.

According to the specs this machine only has a 45HP engine. If this is not correct I am sure some will let me now.

The machine was wormed up in the barn previously started and shut down several times then back out of the barn.

Both operators tell me after a couple of hours of use it gets so low on power that they even have a hard time turning it on dry ground. What you see here is a field behind the barn that was flooded just a few days ago.

Phil P

https://youtu.be/JwUJFyAIZl0

Welder Dave

Black smoke is unburned fuel. It can be common to have black smoke when accelerating or under heavy load. The way your's is smoking most of the time it might be good to have the injectors tested. Does it miss at all when starting it cold or have to crank a little longer than usual?

Phil P

Occupation
Consultant
No, it seems to start and run without any indication of a miss fire.

Phil

Mquinista

Hey man, there are a lot of things going wrong with diesels that can lead to those simptoms...
Neverthelss what u should check imediatly is dieel starvation, and air starvation.
With this 2things checked the engine may smoke of many colours but it will certainly have a decent power.
In case its a trans problem , by now the tractor would not engage or have any push power... there is noting there eating away power without reveal itself in major failure...
God luck.

Phil P

Occupation
Consultant
Hello every one.

I have become discouraged with this customer.

He is under the misconception that arriving her for a few days once a month is sufficient to manage this enterprise.

I will keep you updated after his next visit.

Phil

Phil P

Occupation
Consultant
Hi

Because of my lack of being able to communicate with them this unit hasn’t even been run the last time the owner was there he was there for only 4 hours in the afternoon.

He is going to be back next week and I am going to have to get it straight that he has to have some on the ranch that speaks and reads both langue.

Phil

Vetech63

Hi

Because of my lack of being able to communicate with them this unit hasn’t even been run the last time the owner was there he was there for only 4 hours in the afternoon.

He is going to be back next week and I am going to have to get it straight that he has to have some on the ranch that speaks and reads both langue.

Phil
I deal with the same language barrier here at times. In those cases, I can't take anything I hear as gospel. I'm on my own from start to finish.............so I have to begin with the basics and move forward.

Phil P

Occupation
Consultant
Hello

The owner finally came with enough time to do a proper test run on the D4.

After this we have decided to go thru the low pressure fuel system from draining the fuel tank and cleaning all fuel lines with air and changing the filters right up to removing the fuel inlet banjo fitting at the injector pump. I may also clean the fuel return lines.

Here is a link to the video.

https://youtu.be/fa3doGmAWcQ

Phil P

Cliffy

By the way she is over fuelling, i dont think you have a low pressure fuel issue.
Does it look like the injector pump has been off before? Paint missing from bolts, adjustment screws and un painted components normally gives it away.
The reason i ask is that i think its got a diesel knock or ping at high idle. Also seams slow to rev. Wonder if the timing is to far advanced or advance mechanism in pump is buggered.
Or, thinking out loud, does the pump have a boost compensation mechanism? Might be stuck at full boost position.

Cliffy

Did you ever get around to checking torque converter housing oil volume?If the scavenger pump is blocked or the converter has excessive leakage the housing fills up with oil and it acts like a hydraulic retarder.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
IMO the OP has to start somewhere, and verifying the LP fuel system as far as the inlet to the FIP is a basic diagnostic step that I think should be done before moving forward. The black smoke in the video might be confusing, because if the fuel pressure is not up to snuff that could cause low RPM, low boost, and result in black smoke.

Mquinista

As per post 45, u guys should check, intake system before moving along.... that is hardly related to lack of fuel.
My bet is , an obstruction somewhere in the intake. i´ve had a similar problem, a rubber boot got stuck in the intake and obstructed engine breeding. Just noticed it after a helth check in the engine.

The possibility of engine beeing under load, even if not moving is some how "odd" it can be though. u guys can check by unhook the converter to trans shaft, thats the easy part ....

good luck

Mquinista

Mquinista

Check post 30

Phil P
noted...
nevertheless u did not report intake press... as i sugested some post´s ago... thing is measuring MAP in a unloaded engine will not make much diff... usually reads close to atmospheric press.

In this engines like many others u can have an engine out of time, despite the assembly procedure prevents it... or makes it almost impossible , unless semeonee has removed timing gears and all other gadgets. The IP by itself will not do it if failed... the governor might be out of specs but again if it was u would have other issues going on...

IP´s need to be checked in a diesel shop... cost money and time... if u suspect the injection system u got to go that road,

meanwile, it would worth narow it a litle closer... check injectors watch patern and if all 4 inject same , take one out and run it in 3 engine , or take 4 and run in starter...