• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Caterpillar 941B Water Pump leaking

88ford

My water pump seems to be leaking coolant into the crank case. There seems to be a lot of variations of pumps for the 3304 engine. Wondering if someone knew the correct part number for the pump and the rebuild kit. I am not sure if I should rebuild the one I have or buy a rebuilt one. Does anyone have any experience with the Chinese pumps? They seem to be plentiful and cheap in price. My machine serial number is 80H4888 and the engine is 78P9560. Thanks

20240503_201707.jpg

tctractors

Order a water pump rebuild kit they are low cost from after market, they come apart easy and simple enough to do, the worry is the mess in the sump caused by the weep hole being blocked, the oil pickup basket that is bolted to the oil pump has only very small holes in it that will peg up easily, it might be a thought to drop the pan to check things.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
I’d rebuild it. More chance of success vs an unknown reman.

88ford

OK, thanks guys, I will plan to rebuild it. I will check with my local cat dealer about the rebuild kit. I did lower the sump and the pickup screen looks good.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Engine arrangement is confirmed as 4N-3801.
Complete water pump for the above arrangement is 2P-0662.
The repair kit for it is 6N-9608, a Part Number that updates first to 1W-7046, then to 170-0558.

Note that the repair kit does NOT include the gasket Ref #2 and Seal As #3 (both necessary I would think) or the Impeller Ref #18 should you require one.

Attachments

• 2P-0662 Water Pump.pdf
    149.1 KB · Views: 7

88ford

Engine arrangement is confirmed as 4N-3801.
Complete water pump for the above arrangement is 2P-0662.
The repair kit for it is 6N-9608, a Part Number that updates first to 1W-7046, then to 170-0558.

Note that the repair kit does NOT include the gasket Ref #2 and Seal As #3 (both necessary I would think) or the Impeller Ref #18 should you require one.
Thanks Nige for the information.
When I go to the Cat parts website and look for 170-0558, it shows 12 parts included in the kit. It looks like the seal #3 that you mentioned is included and is part number 262-4378 but the gasket #2 is not included. The gasket #2 is apparently 8N-5928 and is available. It looks like part number 262-4378 may replace items 3, 4 & 5?

There is also an oil seal included in the kit part number 154-4482 which seems to be the same as 8H-9520, #6 from the drawing.

5F-3106 (7 on the drawing) is an o-ring but not included in the kit, replaced by 175-7904.

Also, the shaft (part # 172-5188) is included. I have noticeable side play so maybe the shaft needs replacing. The impeller looks ok.

The Cat parts website asks me to enter my equipment serial number but for some reason it doesn't accept it. It seems to think it is invalid. I am entering 80H4888. It does suggest that it should start with 80H.

Welder Dave

Sometimes it depends on what the OEM parts cost and the the type of use the machine see's. If it's just a farm or hobby machine, aftermarket may be worth a try. In my case I almost fell over when Finning said a new water pump for a 3204 was $1200! It's a pretty basic water pump.

88ford

Sometimes it depends on what the OEM parts cost and the the type of use the machine see's. If it's just a farm or hobby machine, aftermarket may be worth a try. In my case I almost fell over when Finning said a new water pump for a 3204 was $1200! It's a pretty basic water pump.
I know what you mean, the pump I need is 2P-0662 which is $1547 from Caterpillar or a remanufactured pump is $761. The rebuild kit is $262 so I guess I will go that route.

56wrench

On a belt driven w/pump, if the pulley is worn too much, you are better off with a reman because sometimes the pulley by itself is outrageously priced. That being said, on any reman, the first thing i check is the pulley

56wrench

I was throwing that out there for anybody who may have a belt driven water pump as i wasn’t sure what type the 941 had

sawmilleng

Another way of saving a worn water pump pulley is to get the belt groove remachined to fit the belt. The diameter of the pulley will be a little smaller than stock, which will run the pump a bit faster.

Of course, this fix only applies to cast iron pullies--anything that uses a pressed steel pulley will likely not have enough meat to clean up the belt groove.

I've also used this trick to make an alternator pulley a little smaller to improve the output of the alternator by spinning it faster.

Jon.