• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Caterpillar 930 loader keeps melting glow plug tips

DJ Diesel

Working on a caterpillar 930 ser#73U. I am looking for some advice, We are melting the glow plug tips. Originally thought the driver was powering them up excessively, completely unpluged the glow plugs but we still having the issue. Running them for two long is been eliminated. Poor quality tips?, tried OEM and aftermarket and still fail. Remove and replaced nozzles and verified they are machine correct per part#. Remove Injection pump, Replaced plungers and barrels, Rechecked the timing.

Bls repair

Occupation
Equipment operator,mechanic
Check temp of glow plug at head? Engine running hot?

DB2

Any that I dealt with that had burned out swole up but the tips were intact. Melting is a whole different set of circumstances IMO. We had a 930 for 20 plus years and half a dozen 282 Binders for a while. Between those and an 7.3 IDI I’ve changed a few glow plugs but never saw any tips melted off.